Cats standing strong against Big Ten foes

Big Ten men’s golf teams, beware: The Northwestern squad is proving it can beat league opponents.

After this past weekend’s tournament in Columbus, Ohio, the team has beaten all but two Big Ten teams at least once.

The No. 40 Cats placed fifth in a field of 18 at the Kepler Intercollegiate, edging both Indiana and Illinois by one stroke and coming out on top of every other conference team in attendance except the host Buckeyes.

“It’s crazy how close college golf always is,” said junior Dillon Dougherty, who posted NU’s top score. “I don’t know how it works out that way, but it seems to every time.”

Topping Indiana over the weekend was especially sweet, senior Tom Johnson said, because the Hoosiers had beaten the Cats in an earlier tournament by four strokes.

“That (win) was pretty huge,” he said.

But Dougherty, who placed 11th with a three-round total of 221 (75-72-74), said the weekend was “decent,” adding that the team’s play was “close to being good.”

Head coach Pat Goss said Dougherty showed improvement from the last tourney.

“Dillon has continued to play very consistently and very well,” Goss said. “His game was a little better this week than at the Boilermaker (Invitational). His game is definitely going in the right direction.”

Senior Casey Strunk, normally one of the team’s top players, struggled during the 36-hole round Saturday at the par-72 Scarlet Course.

“I’ve been (to the tournament) for four years, and every year I suck,” said Strunk, who posted scores of 82 and 84 on Saturday. “That course just doesn’t suit me well. I’m just ready to move on.”

Strunk rebounded on Sunday with a 3-over 75, placing 90th.

Johnson, who took home third place at the Boilermaker Invitational, shot well enough for 13th place at the Kepler.

Despite windy conditions and tough pin placements Sunday, Johnson recorded a 71 in the final round, one of the best scores of the day and an improvement over his first- and second-round scores of 74 and 78.

David Merkow and senior T.C. Ford were tied for eighth place after Saturday’s round, recording scores of 75 and 72. Merkow finished 28th after shooting a 76 on Sunday, and Ford wound up in 37th after posting a 78.

The Cats have a one-week break before they head to East Lansing, Mich., to compete in the Fossum Spartan Intercollegiate on May 1 and 2.

In conference competition, NU has yet to beat Ohio State or Minnesota, but both will be in the lineup at the Fossum Spartan.

Johnson said he is particularly eager to face Minnesota.

“I can’t wait to kick their ass,” he said.