DM chooses Borschnack, Kanak to direct ’05 eventDM chooses Borschnack, Kanak to direct ’05 event

Two weeks after Dance Marathon 2004 came to a celebratory close, organizers announced the DM 2005 co-chairwomen: Melissa Borschnack and Elaine Kanak.

Kanak said she and Borschnack worked together on last year’s executive board and look forward to collaborating.

“We kind of know each other’s styles and have a lot of the same ideas and similar ambitions,” said Kanak, a Weinberg junior who acted as co-chairwoman for DM’s 2004 merchandise committee.

Kanak said she plans to maintain a close relationship between DM and its philanthropies and to continue to require that dancers complete a minimum number of volunteer hours. This year, for the first time, DM dancers were required to fulfill three hours of community service work with the group’s chosen philanthropy, Have Dreams, or another campus service group, such as OASIS.

Kanak and Borschnack both continue to help out every week at Have Dreams. Though some dancers waited until the last minute to complete the requirement, Kanak said she thinks it helped bring the dancers forge a closer relationship with the charity they were supporting.

“It’s not just about raising money,” she said. “I think the volunteer requirement really brings that home.”

Kanak’s first experience with DM was as a dancer, but she said she had no idea what she was joining.

“I didn’t even know what it was when I first signed up for it,” she said. “I just got sucked in.”

Dancing for 30 hours was challenging, but ultimately rewarding when she heard some of the beneficiaries speak, Kanak said.

Kanak also is a DJ for the WNUR-FM (89.3) Rock Show, which she has worked on for three years.

“I seem like I’m always running around doing stuff,” she said.

Kanak’s co-chairwoman, Borschnack, began working with DM her sophomore year as a member of the public relations committee and business editor of DM’s magazine, “The Emcee.”

“I just really liked the atmosphere and the togetherness,” said Borschnack, an Education junior. “I’m very into organizing things and bringing things together.”

The DM 2004 executive board became so close that members didn’t want to split up after the event, Borschnack said. The team is continuing to work together this spring as an intramural soccer team, of which Borschnack is a member.

Borschnack said the administrative side of DM appeals to her because she enjoys teamwork.

She added that she has been impressed by the improvements the last executive board made and wants to build upon that progress, “pushing the envelope a little further.”

Along with volunteering at Have Dreams, Borschnack also has worked with Campus Kitchens and is creating a new co-ed business fraternity , Delta Sigma Chi, on campus.

Sara Feinstein, an Education junior who worked on DM 2004’s executive board with Borschnack and Kanak, said the two were a great choice for the job.

“Melissa and Elaine are two extraordinarily qualified and talented leaders and I am so excited with what they will do with DM this year,” said Feinstein, outgoing DM public relations co-chairwoman. “Both of them are extremely organized, outgoing and have a consuming love of Dance Marathon”

Applications for other DM executive positions are available and are due outside the DM office on the 3rd floor of Norris by 5 p.m. Tuesday.