Wildcats climbing rankings

After going 7-1 on the East Coast this season, the Northwestern women’s lacrosse team headed west in search of a challenge. But sunny California proved about as challenging for the Wildcats as Diversity of Life would be for a biology major.

NU snapped No. 20 Stanford’s four-game winning streak Friday night with an 11-5 victory, avenging a loss last year to the Cardinal. On Sunday, the Cats met California for the first time ever, and won in a 16-4 romp.

The two wins extended NU’s unbeaten streak to eight games and improved its record to 9-1 (2-0 American Lacrosse Conference).

NU improved to No. 11 in the nation and is in the hunt for the top spot in the ALC. Conference rival Johns Hopkins (10-1) lost its first game of the season Sunday to Maryland.

The Cats’ offense scored 27 goals from nine different players. The defense held opponents to only nine goals, and goaltender Ashley Gersuk had 26 saves. It was the kind of balanced play NU has been striving for all season long.

The Cats’ attack, ranked ninth in the nation, proved quick and deadly in both games, scoring the first five goals in both halves against the Golden Bears.

NU has opened the scoring in all but one of its games this season, and has outscored opponents 54-13 in its past three.

The team has focused on coming out strong since a string of March games that were determined by a pair of goals or fewer.

“We really pulled the offense together,” junior Sarah Albrecht said. “We’re at the point in our season where we finally know each other and know where we are on the field.”

No. 19 Stanford’s skilled yet physical style of play appeared capable of challenging the Cats, but the Cardinal was unable to match NU’s speed.

“We blew Stanford out of the water, running up the field,” Josephs said.

The freshmen led the charge against the Cardinal, with Lindsay Finocchiaro and Kristen Kjellman each picking up three goals and an assist.

Sophomore Laura Glassanos snatched two goals and a helper, and Sarah Albrecht, Keri McMahon and Lindsay Munday added one goal apiece.

The Cats scored two goals to open the first period and three goals to close it, entering halftime with a 6-3 lead. In the second half, NU again initiated the scoring by notching four straight goals.

The scoring was more balanced on Sunday, when nine NU players got on the scoreboard against the Golden Bears. Glassanos led the team with four goals and an assist, while freshman Aly Josephs scored three and had one assist.

Both opponents focused on shutting down freshman phenom Kjellman, coach Kelly Amonte Hiller said, giving many other players open opportunities.

“I thought we had a really balanced attack,” Josephs said. “We figured out a way to spread the ball around and have everyone touch it.”

With Sunday’s win, the Cats matched their season total from last year — and they still have 6 games to go. The team is only 2 games away from matching the school’s all-time lacrosse record.