ASG vice president saw productive term in office, despite abrasive approach (News Analysis)

Bryan Tolles experienced his most rewarding moment as executive vice president on Wednesday morning, nearly a year after his election, when he told a student that her newly- formed group could apply for recognition from Associated Student Government and become eligible to receive funding.

“Her eyes lit up,” said Tolles, a Weinberg junior. “That girl was a perfect ending to the year.”

Securing money for T- and B-status student groups was Tolles’ most important accomplishment in the past year, he said.

Next fall NU’s Office of Student Affairs will begin giving new student groups $300 in seed funds and allocating additional money later in the year. Ultimately Tolles’ initiative to gain funding for the T- and B-status groups gave them the opportunity to sponsor more events.

As a leader, Tolles admittedly bent the rules, but often that proved to be a smart move.

Tolles delayed a Fall Quarter hearing to determine whether an October bake sale protesting affirmative action, sponsored by NU’s Objectivist Club, violated ASG guidelines. Tolles thought his committee was too “riled up” and incapable of judging the case fairly following incidents of racist and anti-Semitic graffiti on campus.

“There was increased tension on campus and I didn’t want the Objectivist Club to be the scapegoat for the events going on,” Tolles said.

Communication sophomore Howard Buffett, an 1835 Hinman senator who served on the ASG Executive Committee during Tolles’ tenure, said the outgoing officer led committee discussions in an informal but effective way.

Tolles said he often would offer counterproposals and encouraged others to do the same.

“When I started to see the group-think happen — everyone nodding their heads in unison — I had someone play devil’s advocate,” Tolles said. “I’m more of a facilitator than a debater.”

Tolles was known to be outspoken and, at times, offensive during Senate meetings and in his dealings with ASG members and student group leaders. Some said his snide comments at Senate meetings sometimes bordered on being unprofessional.

Sameer Paroo, the student organizations coordinator for Norris University Center who advises the executive committee, said he has spoken with Tolles about “taking a step back” before expressing his opinion.

“There were times when his language wasn’t appropriate,” Paroo said. “But, for him, he’s so passionate about what he does that he speaks and talks with his heart.”

Tolles defended his behavior.

“I’m outspoken because I care,” he said.

Tolles said he will not run again for executive vice president, nor will he be a candidate for another executive board position in this year’s campuswide elections.

“Last year at this time I was excited — really excited,” he said. “I’m not feeling it this year. If I’m not feeling this, it wouldn’t be right to do it.”