ASG to approve budget, hear derecognized groups’ appeals

Associated Student Government senators will vote at tonight’s Senate meeting on the group’s operating budget for next year, as well as hear from two student groups appealing their derecognition status.

Senate will also consider two new bills and vote on student-group guidelines reviewed last week.

The proposed ASG operating budget is more than $80,000 this year and sets aside funds for general office supplies, sponsored events and the ASG lawyer.

Another provision allows senators to propose adding funds to the budget to cover so-called “fill in the blank” expenses. ASG members submitted four proposals that request between $2,200 and $5,450 in funding.

The proposals include requests for percussion equipment for Cahn Auditorium, a light board for student theater groups, street-pole banners and improvements to the Hinman House performance space.

Senators will vote tonight whether or not to accept any of the submissions.

Senate also will hear appeals from two student groups, Campus Greens and Asterik, which were derecognized after failing to meet ASG-mandated responsibilities.

This quarter at least seven T- and B-status groups — that is, recognized groups that do not receive funding from the Student Activites Fee — have lost ASG recognition because they did not meet the student group requirements.

“I’m surprised by the number, and we still have not heard back from some of these groups,” said Bryan Tolles, ASG’s executive vice president.

Campus Greens was derecognized after they did not hold publicized all-campus events, said Tolles, who oversees T- and B-status groups. According to ASG student group guidelines, groups must hold at least one all-campus, publicized event each quarter.

The all-male a cappella group Asterik automatically was derecognized after it failed to turn in annual review forms by the Jan. 30 deadline, said Tolles, a Weinberg junior.

Senators last week granted recognition to two other student groups that failed to turn in their annual review forms on time — Campus Kitchens and Singaporeans and Friends. Four weeks ago Senate rejected an appeal from the Interfraternity Council, an A-status group that was derecognized for failing to submit its annual review form.

Senators are also slated to consider two bills. Once calls for the creation of an ASG Weblog. Noora Lori, campus public relations chairwoman and co-author of the bill, said a Weblog would be accessible to both students and senators and would allow senators to present ASG business and respond to student concerns.

“For someone to fill out a comment card, they either have to be really moved by what’s going on or sit down and think, ‘What does this campus really need?'” said Lori, a Weinberg sophomore. “With the Weblog we’re taking the initiative … and asking, “What do you think?'”

A second bill calls for the Technology Committee to add a link on the HereAndNow Web site to information about Norris Bookstore’s buy-back policies.

Both bills will be new business, so a vote would not come until next week.

Tolles also will present information tonight about the Office of Student Affairs’ initiative to issue one-time grants to new T- and B-status groups.

Student Affairs will begin giving seed money to new T- and B-status groups by Fall Quarter, but administrators have not yet announced the amount they will allot for the initiative or if student groups will be able to petition for additional capital-improvements funding.

Tonight’s meeting will take place at 7 p.m. in the Northwestern rooms at Norris University Center. It is open to the campus community.

Senate agenda

7 p.m. tonight, Norris University Center

* Approval of ASG’s 2004-05 operating budget

* Approval of various proposals for other projects on campus, including new percussion and lighting equipment for Cahn Auditorium

* Consideration of a bill calling for a Weblog to present and address student concerns

* Consideration of appeals from derecognized student groups Campus Greens and Asterik

* Consideration of a HereAndNow link to the Norris Bookstore’s buy-back policies