Activist group pushes for wind generator, public support

An Evanston group aiming to replace a defunct wind generator at the Evanston Ecology Center will hold an informational meeting on Feb. 28 in an attempt to breathe life into a two-year-old campaign.

Evanston Energy Future — an activist group that promotes clean, renewable energy sources in Evanston — wants to replace the nonoperational generator, which provides energy at the ecology center, 2024 McCormick Blvd., with a more powerful generator placed on a higher tower.

“There is a lot of energy in the wind,” said Evanston resident Ross Vangieres, a member of the group. “It’s clean, it’s always free, it’s always there and it will pay itself back.”

The wind generator could save up to a third of the ecology center’s energy costs, totaling about $2,500 a year, said Evanston resident Debbie Hillman, another group member. Although the new installation would cost between $50,000 and $70,000, state agencies could provide up to $20,000 in grants.

“The wind generator is a very visible symbol of alternative and renewable energy,” Hillman said. “We’re definitely going to run out of coal and oil, so it makes sense to develop something we will not run out of.”

Members of the group said the city so far has been uncooperative. City officials have not given the go-ahead to the project — citing a lack of community support and information on the project.

“I don’t know how much it is going to cost, how it would be paid for and who is going to maintain it over time,” said Doug Gaynor, the director of the city’s Parks/Forestry and Recreation Department. “Those are the issues that the taxpayers are interested in.”

The forum on Feb. 28 will focus on eliciting taxpayer support by providing information on the project and allowing residents to ask questions.

“The purpose of this meeting is just to get more publicity,” Hillman said. “We want to come out of there with as much community support as we can.”

But some wonder whether the ecology center is the right place for a new wind generator.

“The major issue is whether to replace the generator here or to look for a place in town which can support a viable generator,” said Linda Lutz, director of the center. “You have to look at whether this is an appropriate time for a demonstration or to look for something that is commercially viable.”

Although the project has not garnered a lot of support, Gaynor said, renewable energy still could have a future in Evanston.

“Folks come to us with ideas, and we’re certainly willing to listen,” he said. “If there is a way to conserve energy, then we should take a serious look at it.”

Evanston Energy Future will discuss the issue at 9:30 a.m. Feb. 28 at the ecology center.