Tonight’s the night: NU fit for Hoosiers

It might be now or never for a Wildcats win.

After a heartbreaking 58-55 overtime loss at Indiana on Jan. 18, the Northwestern women’s basketball team stands poised to get its first Big Ten win against the Hoosiers at 7 p.m. tonight at Welsh-Ryan Arena.

“We have an opportunity this week,” NU coach June Olkowski said. “It’s our best chance to get our first ‘W,’ which we need badly.”

After tonight’s game, the Cats will embark on a sprint to the finish line. Sunday marks the final home game of the season against No. 5 Purdue. Then, NU (7-15, 0-11 Big Ten) embarks on a three-game road trip to Ohio State, No. 10 Minnesota, and Michigan.

The four remaining teams after Indiana beat NU by an average of 31 points this year.

“This is a big confidence game for us,” point guard Samantha McComb said. “We’re on our home court against a team that we can beat.”

How much McComb can contribute to the lineup will be a factor in the game’s outcome. This will be her third game back from a stress fracture in her foot. The junior said she is still adjusting to the game’s tempo.

“Getting back out there, running up and down the court, calling plays — I definitely feel like I’m getting back into things,” McComb said.

McComb was not in the lineup for the last contest with Indiana, but she recognizes what the Cats have to do different this time out.

“We had five easy layups that we missed in that game,” McComb said. “If we finish on those, we win by 10.”

Olkowski said she also thinks NU needs to execute and take care of the basketball.

“We allowed one player to step up for them offensively, and we had nobody step defensively,” she said.

That one player for Indiana (10-12, 3-8) was Cyndi Valentin, who also will be crucial in tonight’s game. The sophomore poured in 24 points during the last outing with NU.

But since that victory, Indiana has struggled, losing its last five games.

“The key is to find your energy and confidence, and that is something we are struggling with right now,” Indiana coach Kathi Bennett said.

Indiana is not taking NU lightly.

“I don’t think we are overlooking anyone,” Bennett said. “They’re a great team, and they’re really close (to getting a win).”