Walker: Hard work key to wins (Football)

With no new injuries to report and little information about ailing players, Northwestern coach Randy Walker had a chance to share his thoughts about college football and the reason the Wildcats (6-6, 3-3 Big Ten) have surpassed the win totals predicted by many so-called experts at his weekly Monday press conference.

The coach also got a little off topic at times.

“Penn State has some good looking guys,” Walker said. “I was checking them out before the game and I was like ‘You see the legs on that guy?'”

Although the Nittany Lions legs may have been large and their win total smaller, Walker said the difference between NU, Penn State and most teams is very small this season.

“The parity of college football is unbelievable, and there is a fine, fine line out there,” Walker said. “There’s not a lot of difference between being 4-8 and 8-4, but there is a difference at the highest levels.

“I’m glad Oklahoma is not on our schedule.”

Four of the Cats’ five victories this season have come by 10 points or less, including all three Big Ten wins. Walker said a single play could have completely altered those games and after a couple of the wins he didn’t ask questions, but just accepted the victory.

“We threw a little change up at Penn State, and we didn’t block anybody, but Eric Batis made a great play,” Walker said. “Had that play failed, I’m almost certain we wouldn’t have won. But a kid made a play.”

NU has had individuals such as Batis step up with many key players sidelined with injuries.

Walker said Monday that running back Jason Wright’s ankle was better than last week, running back Terell Jordan’s hamstring was healing, senior wide receiver Roger Jordan’s bruised sternum was improving and senior safety Louis Ayeni is expected to play Saturday with a shoulder injury.

The Cats’ have had to deal with many injuries this season, and Walker said the reason for his team’s unexpected success has been its work ethic.

NU has not always executed to perfection, but Walker said he couldn’t question his player’s effort.

“What gives us a chance isn’t anything other than playing really hard,” Walker said. “I’m working as hard as I can work, and we’re getting the same effort from the kids.”

Several players also said they have noticed the extra efforts that many outsiders miss.

“Without a doubt it’s character,” offensive lineman Zack Strief said. “People in this program are different than in other places. I think that is why we are playing better — the little things we do in the offseason that people don’t see.”

NU’s home game against Michigan on Saturday will start at 2:30 p.m. and will be nationally televised on ESPN. NU’s game against Illinois on November 22 will be at 11 a.m. The game will be televised locally by ESPN Plus.