Kendall finalizes plans for move to Chicago site

Evanston’s culinary-focused Kendall College finalized a deal Friday to move to a North Side Chicago location formerly owned by Sara Lee Corp., officials at Sara Lee’s Chicago headquarters said Monday.

Kendall officials declined to comment on the move. But a notice on the school’s Web site read: “Kendall’s New Riverworks Campus Opening September 2004.” The site also includes several images of the potential new campus, including an insignia with the words “Kendall College Chicago.”

Julie Ketay, director of corporate media relations for Sara Lee, confirmed a report from Saturday’s Chicago Tribune that said Kendall would move to a Sara Lee research facility on Goose Island, near Lincoln Park. Ketay said Sara Lee still has a long-term lease on the property and that Kendall purchased the property from another developer.

The Goose Island facility is equipped with a number of test kitchens and office spaces, Ketay said.

Charles Jones, Kendall’s director of development, said he could not comment on any details of the deal. He said no one at the Tribune had spoken with Kendall officials.

“Let’s just say this is the second time the Tribune has put out an article without talking to anyone at Kendall,” Jones said.

The Tribune also reported that Kendall sold its 3.3-acre campus to developer Smithfield Properties LLC to finance its deal with Sara Lee. Officials at Smithfield Properties could not be contacted Monday.

Kendall president Howard Tullman said last month that the college had outgrown its home at 2408 Orrington Ave. and was looking to possibly sell the property, which borders Northwestern’s campus.

Residents living near Kendall have said they fear the move of the college, known for its cooking school, might allow NU to build high-rise dorms or other university properties in Kendall’s place. The area is zoned specifically for university housing.

The Evanston Plan Commission on Oct. 8 voted to recommend that Evanston City Council rezone Kendall’s property for residential use only. Should City Council rezone the land, Kendall could remain on the property but could neither legally expand nor rebuild the facilities in the event that they are destroyed by fire or natural disaster.

NU officials have said they have no plans to buy or develop on Kendall’s property and would notify city officials if that intention changes.

Although Kendall is best known for its culinary arts programs, the school also offers degrees in areas such as criminal justice management, early-childhood education, and business and technology.