Fairy Tale Trail more treat than trick for youngsters

Although haunted houses were a popular attraction this weekend, the 13th annual Fairy Tale Trail sponsored by the Woman’s Club of Evanston emphasized the softer side of Halloween.

Children from Chicago schools with physical or mental disabilities were invited to the Woman’s Club, 1702 Chicago Ave., where they could enjoy the trail’s attractions, including decorations, toys, games and volunteers dressed as popular childhood celebrities.

This year, more than 450 children from 11 schools attended the event.

The trail was open to the public Friday and Saturday at a charge of $5 per child. Money raised goes toward costumes, decorations and busing the special needs children to the event.

“We designed the trail (as) a special environment where kids can come for a nonscary Halloween experience.” said Meg Slayton, volunteer coordinator for Fairy Tale Trail. “It’s all about fantasy. It’s fun, not fright.”

The trail also caters to special needs visitors with its emphasis on activities that stimulate multiple senses — such as instruments, blocks and toys — Slayton said.

“Depending on what the kids are able to do, they can interact with the different props and characters,” she said.

Themed rooms inspired by the “Wizard of Oz” and “Alice in Wonderland” offered tea parties and opportunities for photographs taken with characters.

Especially popular was the “Little Mermaid” room, which featured volunteers posing as Ariel and Sebastian from the Disney movie, as well as a brand-new bubble machine.

“It’s a very elaborate room,” said Christina Burton of Evanston, who took a turn as Ariel. “Every little girl loves Ariel. (Boys) love the bubbles.”

The room impressed 4-year-old Callie Pekosh of Glenview, who said Ariel was her favorite attraction. Her mother, Maureen Pekosh, said it was worth the effort to put together the elaborate display.

“I think this is a very cute idea,” Pekosh said. “It’s a lot of work, but it entertains.”

Dressed as Tinkerbell, Callie was one of many children showing a sneak preview of their Halloween costumes.

Children, however, were not the only ones in disguise. Kellogg student Alice Lu spent Saturday afternoon at the event dressed as a pumpkin.

“I love playing with the kids,” she said. “They’re very enthusiastic.”

Lu participated through Kellogg’s volunteer organization, Business with a Heart, which sent 15 students to help with the Fairy Tale Trail.

Though most of the volunteers were Woman’s Club members, Slayton acknowledged Northwestern students for their support. The event also received help from more than 50 high school students, according to Slayton.

“They get really excited to volunteer because it’s a tradition,” said Gwen Morrison of Evanston, whose 13-year-old daughter took a turn as Ariel. “My daughter has always loved the mermaid room and now she is the mermaid.”

Morrison, a regular at the event, said it is a good alternative to spooky entertainment.

“I feel this is one of the best events for children to access a nonscary, hands-on Halloween experience,” she said. “It puts Halloween in a more magical light.”