Unlucky 13 Clarett could still be a fan favorite in Columbus

Columbus, Ohio — Ohio State’s No. 13 jogged out of the locker room to a roar of applause from a sea of scarlet and gray, took the field and began shagging kicks from punter B.J Jacobs.

A few of the nearly 105,000 Buckeyes faithful primed for a 19th straight win felt their hearts skip a beat. Had suspended running back Maurice Clarett been miraculously reinstated, a conquering hero returning to lead the Buckeyes to a second national championship?

But something wasn’t right. This player was more slightly built than Clarett, and lacked the graceful, almost preternatural movements he used to evade would-be tacklers last season.

No, the No. 13 was worn by Harlen Jacobs, a junior backup defensive back. Meanwhile, in the press buffet room a few hundred feet above the field, reporters swarmed on Buckeyes’ A.D. Andy Geiger, prying for any new information in the daily soap opera that Clarett’s suspension and lawsuit to leave early for the NFL has spiraled into.

You know something is a hot topic when it diverts sportswriters’ attention away from the hot dogs and sausages waiting at the next table.

Jacobs wasn’t the only one in Ohio Stadium donning a replica of the Clarett’s jersey, not by a long shot. Unlucky No. 13’s served as a constant reminder of the Clarett saga, far outnumbering jerseys of any other player.

Lifelong Ohio State fan Mark Manis duct-taped an X over the front and back of his Clarett jersey. What does Manis think of Clarett’s suit to overturn the NFL’s rule that requires players to be three years removed from high school before the draft?

“He’s a very spoiled young man, a very angry young man,” Manis said. “He doesn’t realize how lucky he is to be in his position.”

Pretty harsh. But, in the unlikely event that Clarett drops the suit and decides to return to Ohio State, would Manis even take him back?

“Absolutely.”

With the lone exception of one intoxicated student who screamed repeatedly for Clarett to perform a sex act that even the physically gifted runner would have trouble executing, Manis’ willingness to forgive Clarett’s indiscretions was shared by nearly everyone I talked to at pregame tailgates and Ohio State student sections Saturday.

“If he wants to go to the NFL, more power to him,” said Mike Loveless, an Ohio State fifth-year senior (I guess he redshirted). “But we’ll welcome him back in a second. He’s a good back. He wins games.”

Clarett has surely watched as his buddy LeBron reaps the riches of a sneaker contract and NBA salary upstate. But Clarett will never again approach the unconditional love bestowed on him by Buckeyes fans.

So here’s my advice:

Be cool. Stay in school.

Sure, classes can be a drag (I hear those oral exams are especially killer.) Dorm food can test your stomach. And who wants to deal with thousands of screaming coeds just waiting to dot your i all the time?

Clarett could still return to Ohio State next year, rush for 2,000 yards, and win the Heisman Trophy and possibly another national championship. Or he could go to the NFL, be drafted by the Bengals and be stuck in Ohio as the next Ki-Jana Carter.

If that’s not a scary enough thought to send Clarett scurrying back to Buckeyeland, I don’t know what is.