Woofstock kicks off opening of Skokie’s Pooch Park

Pigs may never fly, but dogs certainly will dance at Woofstock, the grand opening of Pooch Park in Skokie.

A “doggie dance contest” is only one of the activities dogs and their owners can participate in during the free event Sunday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

“There’s going to be activities, entertainers and exhibitors, all celebrating the opening of the park and demonstrating the different facilities,” said Ron Schneider, Oakton Community Center manager and a Woofstock organizer.

Pooch Park opened to the public in late April as part of Channelside Park, located between Oakton and Main streets. The 2.7-acre dog park includes a large, off-leash recreation area, an agility area and a smaller, fenced-in area for puppies and small dogs. A park membership, or Pooch Permit, costs Evanston and Skokie residents $35 per year and covers up to two dogs.

The reviews of the park have been favorable so far, said Martha Logan, public information specialist for the Parks, Forestry and Recreation Department of the city of Evanston.

“There were people who asked us over the years to have an off-leash dog park, because dogs can’t run around without leashes normally,” she said. “I think it’s been very popular; we’ve had good feedback.”

Woofstock will feature events highlighting the different areas of the park, as well as information tables, vending booths and demonstrations. In addition to the dance contest, there will be a singing dog contest, an owner look-alike contest and largest/smallest dog contests.

The event is designed for the whole family, Logan said.

“There will be activities tables for the kids,” Logan said. “One will be paw printing: They can dip their dog’s paw in paint to make a little print and decorate it.

“There will be crafts with dog biscuits, too.”

Schneider also said the event is geared toward kids as well as dogs, with activities specifically for younger children.

“There’s going to be a Dalmatian Moonwalk, a big jumpy thing for the kids to play in,” he said.

One of Woofstock’s biggest events will be an “agility demonstration,” where several trainers will lead dogs through an obstacle course.

“The dogs go through tunnels, jump through hoops, go across bridges and teetertotters,” Schneider said. “It demonstrates a high level of dog obedience.”

There will be an opportunity at the end of the demonstration for owners to try the obstacle course with their dogs, Schneider said.

The namesake of the event, late 1960s rock festival Woodstock, shows up in details such as the tie-dyed bandannas the first 100 dogs will receive and a classic rock performance by the band Thunderpaw.