Web shows bands to play May 24 at NU

A variety of rock, electronic and hip-hop music could soon be descending on Northwestern, according to a Web site that listed four groups performing May 24 — the same date as the scheduled Dillo Day.

As of Monday morning, the Web site for Drive-Thru Records posted The Crystal Method, Steel Train, Blackalicious and Idlewild as coming to campus. The listings were removed by the afternoon from the site, www.drivethrurecords.com.

Dillo Day organizers declined to confirm the appearances of specific bands but said they hope to announce the groups when contracts are finalized later this week.

Dillo Day is the culimiation of Mayfest, NU’s annual celebration of spring and Native-American heritage.

Mayfest co-chairwoman Stephanie Rich said Northwestern contract policy prohibits the group from revealing the bands until all contract negotiations are completed.

“We don’t want to say that we’re bringing someone to campus and then have something fall through,” said Rich, a Medill sophomore.

Brian Bockrath, Mayfest co-chairman and a McCormick sophomore, said several of the bands would be recognizable to NU students. The acts include a hip-hop act, an electronic act, a blues/gospel performer, an “REM-type” British pop band, an indie-rock group and an acoustics-driven band.

The Web site of the electronic music group The Crystal Method states the Los Angeles-based duo will perform in the Chicago area May 24 at a site to be announced. The group’s sophomore album, “Tweekend,” includes tracks featuring Stone Temple Pilots singer Scott Weiland and Rage Against The Machine guitarist Tom Morello, and is filled with techno- and bass-fortified music.

This year Mayfest organized several events in addition to the upcoming Dillo Day festivities. The remainder of the month will be spotted with programming, including speaker Charles Robertson — a Native American psychologist and teacher who will speak at 7 p.m. tonight at the Norris University Center.

This year Bockrath and Rich said Mayfest will promote suicide prevention along with their theme of Native-American awareness.

Bockrath said a recent emphasis on mental- health awareness at NU elevated the theme’s importance.

“It made us realize how important an issue it was,” Bockrath said. “We need to bring it to the forefront of discussion on campus.”

Other events include an Ultimate Frisbee tournament Saturday, a concert by soul and R&B singer Marc Broussard on May 22 and the second round of Battle of the Bands at Nevins’ Live, 1460 Sherman Ave., on Wednesday. The winner of the Battle of the Bands will be the opening act on Dillo Day.

Jessica Joslin, an Education freshman, said she is excited to experience her first Dillo Day and hopes acts similar to Ben Folds or The Wallflowers will make an appearance.

“Everyone talks about (Dillo Day),” she said. “So I’m looking forward to seeing it for myself.”