Suitcase Party co-chairwomen selected for 2004 charity event

A trio of Northwestern women — Marcy DelMonte, Aparna Raj and Edith Rivera– were chosen Thursday as the heads of next year’s Suitcase Party.

Both DelMonte, a Weinberg sophomore, and Raj, a Weinberg junior, served as executive-board members for this year’s philanthropy event. Rivera, a Communication junior, has never worked on Suitcase Party before.

The three co-chairwomen will announce the rest of the executive board by the end of next week and hope to select the Suitcase Party beneficiary within two weeks.

Weinberg senior Dianna Di Iorio, former executive co-chairwoman, said three students were selected to head next year’s event because DelMonte is studying abroad in Scotland during Fall Quarter. This will ensure that at least two leaders are on campus at all times.

With three people in charge, Di Iorio said she hopes it will be easier for the executive board to make changes to the event

“Although (there have) been minor changes every year, I think there really needs to be some significant restructuring,” she said.

Di Iorio said DelMonte proved capable when she served as co-chairwoman of the special projects committee.

“We knew we needed a committee but didn’t know which direction we wanted to go with it,” Di Iorio said. “(DelMonte) really took the initiative to make the committee something beneficial to Suitcase Party.”

Raj, who has headed the public relations and corporate committees in the last two years, said she would like to see more campus involvement in fund raising for next year’s beneficiary. This year’s Suitcase Party, which took place April 10 and was attended by 2,000 people, raised more than $30,000 for La Rabida Children’s Hospital.

“We really want to make a concerted effort to involve more of campus with the event,” Raj said, “Not only the night of (the party) but throughout the whole year in terms of volunteering.”

Although this will be a new experience for Rivera, a former Alianza president and former Associated Student Government Treasurer, Di Iorio said she expects Rivera will be great addition to the event.

“We were looking for someone new to bring a new perspective,” Di Iorio said, “and I think (Rivera’s) past shows that she’s more than capable.”