Lessons in girl power

A chorus of disgusted delight filled the Northwestern chemistrylab. “Ew, gooey!” 12 girls shrieked simultaneously.

“Gross!” said 10-year-old Brittany Darcy as she wrinkled hernose and squeezed blue slime between her fingers.

As part of the 11th national Take Your Daughter to Work Day, 190girls flocked to NU to participate in career-related workshopsThursday.

At the “Flubber” workshop, chemistry lecturer Patricia Todebushmade slime with groups of 9- to 16-year-old girls, some whom nearlytripped over their lab coats.

“They all had fun,” Todebush said. “I tried to teach them alittle about polymers and the molecules they were making instead ofjust mixing things together.”

Todebush stressed the importance of exposing girls to science-and math-related careers.

“Especially in the sciences, girls are still underrepresented,”she said. “If they learn it’s fun before they hear they can’t doit, they’re more likely to try it, stick with it and succeed.”

Whether chemist, lawyer or actress, the day gave girls a chanceto explore career options.

“The girls really get to see the opportunities open to women incareers not traditionally thought of for women,” said Renee Rudd,director of the Women’s Center, which helped coordinate volunteersfor the event.

During the day the girls divided into small groups and attendedthree different blocks of workshops. The program offered more than40 workshops on the Evanston Campus and at least 20 more on theChicago Campus.

At “Robotics,” graduate student Mark Salada used a vibratingvideo-game control pad to teach about touch feedback. But AngeliqueMoore, 11, was more excited about her plans for the afternoon.

“I want to design clothes,” she said. “My dad’s going to take meto the costume shop here.”

Two groups, with workshops like “Home Away From Home” and “WhoWants to Be a Wildcat?” catered to girls between 13 and 16.

These workshops get high school girls thinking about college,said Rudd, noting their interest in touring residential halls andsorority houses.

After all the girls ate lunch at Allison Hall, Medill Prof. AvaGreenwell addressed the group.

“Three girls in my group wanted to be writers, and they werereally excited (about the address),” said chaperone Ila Allen, abusiness administrator for NU’s Center for Talent Development.

Greenwell said she wanted to send a message about the importanceof being assertive.

“I wanted them to leave knowing that no matter what career fieldyou’re in, the more you ask questions and the more unafraid you areto ask questions, the better off you’ll be,” Greenwell said.

Parents were enthusiastic about their daughters’ exposure to avariety of interests.

“What are they exposed to? Barbies?” said Lesa Darcy, adepartment assistant in the University Residential Life who broughther 10-year-old daughter, Brittany, to the day of events. “Theyneed to think about supporting themselves and taking care ofthemselves. It’s so important.”

But Britney Darcy had a jump start already — her academic andcareer plans are set.

“I’m gonna come to Northwestern before I begin to be an actressand get a couple of diplomas,” she said as she played with the blueslime.

Others were not so sure as Brittany Darcy about their future goals.

“There was one girl in our group who was really cute,” saidchaperone Jenny Fogarty, a Weinberg junior. “Every other minute shewould say, ‘This is what I want to be. No, this is what I want tobe!'”