Rechartered fraternity honored in 1st year back

For their one-year anniversary, the four members of one of Northwestern’s historically black fraternities received something even better than a birthday cake.

NU’s Iota Nu chapter of Phi Beta Sigma won Illinois’ chapter of the year at the fraternity’s regional conference held in earlier this month.

“Other chapters should take note of what Iota Nu has done in such a short period of time and follow their example,” said James Fitzpatrick, Illinois State Director for Phi Beta Sigma.

The fraternity’s adviser, Jeff Cooks, was named Illinois’ adviser of the year.

The honors came one year after the fraternity initiated three members, rechartering a chapter that had petered out when its last member graduated in 1999.

“It was a total surprise,” said Ron Adams, Phi Beta Sigma vice president and an Education junior. “We were shocked and also grateful that we were recognized after only one year.”

On April 12, 2002, Adams pledged along with Ikechuku Ndukwe and Dezmond Sumpter. After initiating McCormick sophomore DeMaris Wilson last summer, the four students focused on service — a commitment that helped earn them the prestigious award.

The conference, held in Milwaukee, hosted 400 members of Phi Beta Sigma chapters from eight Midwestern states, including more than a dozen chapters from Illinois.

Each chapter submitted a report including member biographies and grade point averages, community service and social events, Adams said. The state and regional directors named chapters of the year for each state, based on chapter accomplishments.

“The hard work we put in when we first rechartered showed,” said Ndukwe, a Communication junior. “We were trying to raise the bar and we stayed true to that.”

Members said a leadership conference they hosted in January impressed the directors. About 35 collegiate and alumni members attended that conference.

“(The conference) made us stand out from other chapters,” said Sumpter, chapter president and an Education junior. “We weren’t even a year old and we had taken the initiative to do a program like that.”

The award also recognized the chapter’s dedication to community service.

In November the fraternity brought the American Cancer Society’s Great American Smokeout to the Evanston Campus. The chapter also is co-sponsoring Relay for Life in May.

Members also volunteer at Pacific Gardens Missions in Chicago.

“(The award) shows the campus that they’re doing a lot more than just taking social opportunities,” said Cooks, who, in addition to advising the fraternity, serves as NU’s senior assistant director of admissions. “They’re doing things on campus and the things they need to do in the classroom.

“They are balanced young men and that will attract other students (to join the fraternity).”

Expansion is a big goal for the fraternity.

As Illinois’ chapter of the year, Iota Nu will host the state conference in October. And in the meantime, members said they are excited about the chapter’s potential.

“In no way are we satisfied,” Ndukwe said of their award. “We think it’s a great honor, but there’s so much more potential for this chapter. And we’re striving to get there.”