Sweet home Chicago (Men’s Basketball)

It’s a frigid Friday afternoon in Evanston, and inside Welsh-Ryan Arena, Northwestern men’s basketball players casually launch long-range jumpers and work on their inside footwork.

The Wildcats are preparing for an important Big Ten showdown with Illinois, NU’s biggest rival on the court — and on the local recruiting circuit.

While the Cats lose the Feb. 22 game 73-61, the more important battle will take place after the season as NU fights Illinois and other schools for top local prep stars. Unfortunately for NU, that’s a battle the school rarely wins.

Whether it’s concerns of high academic standards, mismatches in playing styles or a losing program, Chicago’s high school standouts rarely look north toward Evanston.

Go down NU’s current roster: Split, Croatia; Plano, Texas; Atkins, Iowa. There’s little hint of the school’s location. Then compare it to Illinois’ roster, which has a three players from Chicago and three others from nearby suburbs.

“It’s frustrating for me to be in Chicago, 20-30 minutes from the city, and have me be the only player from (there),” junior guard Jitim Young said. “You look at Illinois, which is a few hours away, and they have four or five. And (Illinois-Chicago) has the whole team.”

If anyone knows the importance of tapping into Chicago’s high school talent, it’s Young. Three years ago he came to NU a heralded recruit from nearby Gordon Tech High School.

Young understands that a win in the Illini game — played at the United Center, the focal point of Chicago’s basketball universe — would have gone a long way toward increasing NU’s visibility in a city that has produced some of the country’s best high school players, such as Kevin Garnett, Isiah Thomas and Antoine Walker.

“If we go out and win, people will say, ‘I want to go to Northwestern when I get older,'” Young said.

Intimidation factor

Young might be NU’s key to establishing a pipeline to Chicago. He has the scoop on local programs. He’s chummy with many of the top players. But there’s still one thing standing in his way: He can’t convince some players that they can survive at a top-15 university.

Although NU’s academic reputation is a selling point to potential students, it often is a roadblock in scoring local basketball recruits.

According to Young, many players are apprehensive about the institution’s tough curriculum. When Young attended a recent high school basketball tournament at Welsh-Ryan, he asked blue-chip recruit Florentino Valencia why he didn’t look seriously at NU.

The Crane High School star paused, then responded, “Northwestern is too smart for me.”

Added Young: “When I go home, people ask me, ‘Are you majoring in medicine yet?’

“Northwestern does intimidate a lot of players. Because people want to play right away, they feel like they can’t handle it academically. I think they can.”

Scott Bogumil, Young’s high school coach and athletic director, said he wasn’t sure Young would be accepted to NU — which, unlike many schools, sends its athletes through the admissions office and makes certain they have a chance to succeed in the classroom.

“Northwestern is at a disadvantage because it can’t go after 80 percent of the local pool,” Bogumil said.

Young admitted he likely wouldn’t have been accepted to the school without his basketball skills. And he said he’s frustrated that NU doesn’t give more players like himself a chance.

“There are plenty of players who want to come here,” Young said. “But is Northwestern willing to take a risk on some kids? Is the school allowing themselves to say, ‘He wasn’t qualified, but can he last here? And is he a hard worker?’ That’s what we have to get. Kids that — if they really want to play — they will do the work and they will pass the classes.”

Still, coach Bill Carmody, who came from an equally rigorous Princeton program, is confident there are enough local players for NU to recruit.

“We have certain standards here,” he said. “And they have to be met. Not every school is for every player.”

A TALE OF TWO STYLES

It’s an equally chilly Friday night in Chicago, and Fenwick High School is battling St. Ignatius College Prep in a Chicago Catholic League match-up. It’s early in the second half, and the teams already have put up more than 75 points. Fenwick’s Vince Humphrey dribbles the ball the length of the court, goes behind his back, through his legs and dishes to teammate Jason Okrzesik, who beats his defender to the basket and draws a foul.

This frenetic possession is common in game, which has a dramatically faster pace than NU’s.

Unfortunately for the Cats, this fast-break style is the way of the court for many Chicago players.

Okrzesik, a 6-foot-1 guard who will attend Rice on a basketball scholarship next season, said he prefers this up-tempo style. Still, his pinpoint passing and 3-point shooting ability would have made him a good fit for NU, which showed marginal interest in the recruit.

The quick cutting and savvy ball-handling of the 6-foot-4 Humphrey also would be welcome in Welsh-Ryan. But the junior is eyeing another private Midwestern university — Notre Dame.

“Kids look at the style of play,” Bogumil says. “In the Chicago Public League (which produces many top area players), it’s run-and-gun, zone trapping and much more physical. NU plays a different style.”

According to Young, recruits often jump to conclusions about Carmody’s Princeton Offense. Okrzesik said many players think the system hides individual skill.

“When they hear Princeton, they’re (scared away),” Young said. “None of the city players are used to playing like that. We’ve been taught to play differently all of our lives.”

Young has adjusted his play, and this season he’s the team’s leading scorer and rebounder.

Carmody said Young is proof that NU’s offense can be a good fit for players willing to learn.

“He pressed all throughout high school, and he seems to be doing pretty well here,” Carmody said. “It has to be a match. We explore all players in the area. I’d like to get some of these guys.”

BUILDING ON TALENT

NU has had trouble getting top local talent because of its losing tradition and the lack of marquee players already at the school.

Zero NCAA Tournament appearances and only three NIT berths might dissuade some local talents from attending. And while NU’s 11-14 record so far this year likely won’t inspire any confidence in recruits, the team is beginning to set a foundation of local players.

When T.J. Parker — a top recruit from nearby Lisle, Ill., — was shopping for college, Young’s presence played a large role in his decision.

“T.J. told me that he came because I was here,” Young said. “Maybe another good player will come because T.J. is here.”

Another factor is NU’s recent coaching change. When Kevin O’Neill left Evanston, the Cats lost a good local recruiter with ties to high school coaches. Carmody is just starting to establish local relationships.

But Young said Carmody shouldn’t have to bear all the load himself.

“It’s not only the coach’s job, it’s the players who are here,” he said. “When you come to a school, you want to see who is there.

“There’s no reason that kids shouldn’t fall in love with Northwestern. It’s right close to home, and it’s in a great conference.”