Inspectors give bars fire-safety go-ahead

Evanston fire officials conducted a dozen safety inspections at local venues over the weekend in a continuing effort to prevent tragedies like the ones that killed more than 100 people last month at nightclubs in Chicago and Rhode Island.

After similar inspections on Feb. 21, fire officials visited several bars Saturday night, as well as Shanley Pavilion and Lutkin Hall at Northwestern.

“We cited a couple places for minor housekeeping issues, like lightbulbs needing to be replaced,” said Division Chief Alan Berkowsky. “But there was nothing major enough to deserve a fine. There were no overcrowding conditions at any of the locations.”

Ninety-eight people died Feb. 20 in West Warwick, R.I., after a band’s pyrotechnics ignited a fire at a nightclub. Three days earlier in Chicago, 21 people died in a stampede while trying to leave a crowded dance club.

On Friday, Evanston fire officials delivered new maximum occupancy signs to several bars, including The Keg of Evanston, 1800 Club, Nevin’s Live and Nevin’s Pub. The limits were re-evaluated by the fire department based on the Feb. 21 inspections.

“Requiring that maximum occupancy signs are hanging in plain view is a policy we are trying to reinstate,” Berkowsky said. “The numbers should be posted in a legible sign near the front entrance.”

Berkowsky said the maximum occupancies are 107 at Nevin’s Live and 211 at Tommy Nevin’s Pub, both 1450 Sherman Ave.; 80 at 1800 Club, 1800 Sherman Ave.; and 60 in the billiards room and 150 in the bar and dance floor areas at The Keg, 810 Grove St.

Last week The Daily found that the Keg and 1800 Club did not have maximum occupancy signs posted where customers could see them. An 1800 Club employee said the bar’s owner had ordered that the sign be moved to the back of the bar and out of public view. The new signs were posted when fire officials visited on Saturday, Berkowsky said.

Courtney Collins said the Keg sometimes seems too crowded. “Especially on Thursday nights, they sardine everyone into the acceptable areas,” the Medill junior said.

The Keg owner Tom Migon said he was happy the fire department confirmed his bar is safe. “We always do what we can to make sure people can know where the exits are and are able to get to them,” Migon said.