NU quests for 3rd straight unbeaten Big Ten season (Women’s Tennis)

The Northwestern women’s tennis team puts its 25-game Big Ten winning streak on the line Sunday in its conference opener at Indiana.

But first the No. 11 Wildcats (6-4) travel to Lexington, Ky., to play No. 30 Kentucky on Saturday.

Since becoming head coach of NU four years ago, Claire Pollard has led the team to four consecutive Big Ten titles and a whopping 37-3 regular-season record against Big Ten opponents.

In the past four years, NU has beaten Indiana five times, but the Hoosiers (5-3) hold a 25-14 all-time advantage. In six previous matches against Kentucky, the Cats hold a 5-1 lead.

Kentucky (5-4) is led by No. 37 Sarah Witten. The junior probably will take on NU’s No. 16 Cristelle Grier, who has yet to lose a set in singles play.

Grier has emerged as of one of the team’s emotional leaders. Pollard said that the freshman was happy to be playing for NU, and that her early success at the collegiate level was aided by the support of her team.

“She’s thrilled to be a part of something bigger than herself,” Pollard said.

The Cats other freshman, Jamie Peisel, has started turning heads as well. Despite dropping from the Cats’ No. 3 spot to the No. 4, she’s won 7 of 10 matches. Although she said she played her best tennis of the season in the fall, she’s starting to get back into a groove as the Big Ten season approaches. She said playing for a team has given her more motivation to succeed.

“When you play for a team, you don’t worry about who your opponent is because it’s such a team effort,” Peisel said.

Sophomore Andrea Yung also has been a solid contributor to the team, which is still without the services of last year’s Big Ten Player of the Year Marine Piriou.

Yung, after spending some time early in the year at the No. 4 position, has moved up to No. 3 and has an 8-2 singles record since Winter Break.

The Cats competed last weekend in the USTA/ITA Indoor Championships in Madison Wis., going 2-1. NU lost a close match to then-No. 7 Southern California and upsetting then-No. 11 Tennessee.

Due to their strong showing in recent matches, the Cats have moved up from No. 14 to No. 11 in national rankings.

No. 11 NU (6-4) at Kentucky (5-4), Indiana (5-3)

Saturday, Sunday

Lexington, Ky., Bloomington, Ind.