A polar bared jog

Eighty-one runners — some bundled up in pants and gloves, others stripped down to their skivvies –braved the stinging wind Saturday for the second annual “Dare to Bare” 5K Run.

The race, sponsored by Northwestern Class Alliance as part of the Office of Campus Activities’ Winter Carnival, encourages — but does not require — participants to undress as they finish each lap around the Lakefill.

Pink-skinned runners, overheard uttering “I can’t take my pants off,” “Is it okay if we suck at running?” and “Shit, it’s cold,” raced four times around the Lakefill in front of a cheering crowd.

“We thought it was something fun to do,” said Ronnie Rios, a Weinberg junior and NCA vice president for finance. “It’s something that happened (years ago) and just stopped. It drew crowds and got students involved.”

Weinberg sophomore Ken Kehl finished first in 21:46 and received a $100 gift certificate to Norris University Center. Kehl, who crossed the finish line in just his shorts, also won the race last year.

“I (ran) it more to run than to bare,” he said. “It’s something fun to do on a Saturday morning.”

McCormick sophomore Mitch Brown came in second. The first two females to finish the race were Education freshman Julie Lipinski and Weinberg sophomore Beth Kobeszka.

NCA President Brant Ullery said the event was a tradition at NU more than a decade ago but disbanded until NCA revived it last year.

“It was a historic event,” said Ullery, a Weinberg junior. “We jumped on board with Winter Carnival. There’s no event like it at all.”

Each runner received “Dare to Bare” boxers. NCA officers said they hoped the larger prizes would help attract more runners.

But Weinberg sophomore Tom Peter saw the contest as an opportunity to bare all.

“A lot of people are in it for the competition. I’m in this for the nakedness,” said Peter, who crossed the finish line sporting only thong underwear. “I think Northwestern has a great shortage of nakedness.”

Runners were encouraged by NCA members and students holding signs that read “take it off,” “good job” and “keep it up.”

At one point, Communication sophomore Russ Armstrong tore off his Hawaiian-print shirt and threw it at a fellow runner trying to strip his pants.

“I’ve always liked running and any place to get free underwear,” said Armstrong, who finished the race in his boxers.

For other students, the race presented an opportunity for camaraderie.

Kobeszka ran the 5K with three other athletes from the NU women’s soccer team.

Weinberg junior Christine Kent ran the race side by side with her father, Paul Kent of Highland Park.

“(The race) gives me a memory that I think will last,” Paul Kent said. “There are very few events to create memories when your daughter is away at school.”