Searle now scheduling appointments to control patient inflow

To cut down on the long waits for walk-in patients, Searle Student Health Service, is asking students to schedule an appointment for treatment in the general medicine area.

“We’re trying to have more efficient use of the clinic because of complaints of waiting time,” said Dr. Joanne Connolly, acting director of Searle. “This way students are not waiting, and it is scheduled around their day.”

Connolly, who compares the new system to service at a doctor’s office, added that it is a “work in progress,” and she encourages student feedback. The system is in a trial period and could become permanent for the next academic year.

Searle’s general medicine area sees about 80 to 100 students each day, Connolly said. The influx often creates a frustrating waiting period — both for students and doctors.

“We’re not refusing walk-ins,” Connolly said. “If a person is really persistent, nurses will be sent to assess the situation.”

Students who fail to cancel within two hours of the appointment will be charged $25. The fee has existed for several years for patients making appointments, though Connolly said more students might have to pay under the new system.

“I don’t think (students) should be penalized for not canceling appointments,” said Weinberg sophomore Malini Kumar, who added some students might be able to get help elsewhere before their appointments.

Danniele Meglen, a Communication sophomore, recalled waiting almost two hours for a doctor during Fall Quarter finals week.

“So many people walk in sick,” she said. “What are you supposed to do, wait for two hours? Maybe (appointments) will improve efficiency if they’re serving the same amount of people as they did with walk-ins.”

Communication sophomore Tracy Strausberg said appointments should reduce chaos at Searle.

“As is, you wait up to four hours,” she said of the old system. “Why would I walk in? Why not make an appointment?”

Others said they fear the system will put more stress on the student.

“I think it limits students from health care,” said Jennifer Kessler, a Music senior. “It makes our health policy more inaccessible and really inefficient. I feel like I have to wait around and that the service isn’t top-notch.”

McCormick senior Judy Kang said the policy could keep students from getting timely care, especially if they don’t know how serious their condition is.

Kang said she once walked into Searle feeling sick but not knowing why.

“It turned out I had strep throat. I walked out with antibiotics (without a long wait),” said Kang, adding that she fears students in similar situations will have to wait for appointments, which might worsen their condition.

Connolly said in those cases, nurses will “determine which (students) can wait and which ones need to be seen and be squeezed in.”