A darker side of fantasy

Don’t you know what’s out there in the woods? Princes, yes, but wolves too …”

So sing Jenny Powers, a Music senior, and Christine Mild, a Speech senior, in their shared role as the Witch in the upcoming Theatre and Interpretation Center production “Into the Woods,” which recreates fairy tales in a darker and more stimulating way than any Disney movie.

The show combines characters and storylines from “Jack and the Beanstalk,” “Little Red Riding Hood,” “Cinderella” and “Rapunzel.” The characters of the Baker and his Wife were created for the show and provide the common thread that holds all the fairy tails together.

Author James Lapine set out to create his own fairy tale but chose to develop a book from children’s stories that were already well-known. The show’s music and lyrics were created by Stephen Sondheim. The show opened in 1987 and ran for 764 shows, winning three Tony Awards. It was also named best revival of a musical, winning another Tony in 2002.

In an effort to provide more female parts, four roles in the TI production are double-cast, with actresses alternating performances. The eight female leads are divided into two casts, red and blue.

“I wasn’t sure how the double-casting would be,” Powers said. “But it has been wonderful for Christine and I to find the character together.”

Powers, who was named Ms. Illinois 2000, said, “I can feel the momentum building as the actors become comfortable in their roles. We have really developed this set of relationships that can be difficult to perform.”

Lauren Robinson, a Communication senior who plays the Baker’s Wife, added that the intricate show has been a challenge to put together.

“I think Sondheim is a genius, and watching the show requires the audience to pay attention,” she said.

Director Lara Teeter, an assistant professor in the School of Communication, chose “Into the Woods” as one of this year’s two TI productions.

“‘Woods’ is a fiery tale with timeless lessons and never-ending battles with various ‘Giants in the Sky,'” said Teeter, invoking the title of one of the show’s songs.

The stage recreates a forest underneath a 15-foot golden frame. Tom Burch, one of the three graduate students in scenic design working on the show, designed the set. Lights and puppetry are also being handled by graduate students in the theater department.

“The sets are amazing,” said Jarrod Zimmerman, a Speech sophomore who plays the narrator and the Mysterious Man.

Auditions for the show were held this spring, with approximately 200 students trying out. Five to 10 people were called back for each role, and the cast of 19, which are approximately half voice majors and half theater majors, began rehearsals the first day of fall semester. Practices have been held six days a week for three and a half hours.

Speech senior Joe Schenck is playing the Steward in his fourth production working with Teeter.

“Lara allows contribution and freedom, so actors feel responsible for their characters,” he said. “The result is amazing.”

Teeter said that his best experience with “Into the Woods” so far was the first rehearsal with the orchestra conducted by Peter Lipari. “After rehearsing for two months with just the piano, finally hearing the orchestra is a spine chilling moment.”

“I’ve never felt so comfortable about a show’s potential,” Teeter said. “It’s a beautiful thing to .”watch.”nyou