Special Olympics group seeks fresh identity

Hoping to reflect an expansion beyond athletic events to educational and social initiatives, Northwestern’s Special Olympics plans to change its name, group leaders said Sunday.

Because of name recognition, the group will use “Special Olympics” to refer specifically to athletic events, but leaders will adopt a new, all-encompassing title.

“It would be like an umbrella organization,” said Rick Armbrust, co-chairman of the as-yet-unnamed group.

The decision stems from a Special Olympics national policy that says the organization only sanctions events that are athletic in nature.

Special Olympics hosts numerous campus events teaming NU students and people with developmental disabilities.

Because the organization has expanded its focus to include educational and social activities, group leaders said they want a name that accurately reflects the group’s scope.

“Obviously, (Special Olympics) is a very reputable name, and people around campus know it,” said Alicia Meyer, the group’s co-chairwoman. “We’re looking for something catchy that says what we want to do.”

Although the national policy has existed for some time, Armbrust said the NU group wanted to address the issue and start expanding its initiatives more aggressively.

“(The national) Special Olympics has always hinted at this,” said Armbrust, a McCormick senior. “This year we said, ‘Let’s just bite the bullet.’ Here at NU, we’ve always taken a progressive approach.”

Because of liability issues, the national organization does not want campus groups to use the name in promotion of alternative events, even if they relate to Special Olympics’ original mission, said Meyer, a Weinberg senior.

Yet leaders said expanding the focus on campus would benefit participants and NU students.

“Part of our mission statement is to integrate Northwestern students and Special Olympics athletes,” Meyer said. “In order to do that effectively, we feel we need numerous events throughout the year. We need casual events giving (the athletes) a chance to just hang out with Northwestern students.”

The yearlong coaching, culminating in the games Spring Quarter, still will exist under the Special Olympics name, but other initiatives will be included under the new name.

More than 200 people participated in Sports Night on Friday, when NU varsity athletes met with Special Olympics athletes to play football, basketball, lacrosse and many other sports.

The group’s educational initiatives include 12 firesides at which an athlete and occasionally his or her parents discuss Special Olympics. Three firesides have been held at Allison Hall, Bobb Hall and Willard Residential College.

Special Olympics also teamed with Developmental Disability Day to host a carnival on the Lakefill one week after the games in Spring Quarter. Last year about 100 athletes and 100 volunteers participated.

Leaders plan to host a floor hockey tournament Nov. 17. The also have plans for a Valentine’s Day dance, a basketball tournament, the annual 5K run and possibly a karaoke night.

Special Olympics also might apply for Associated Student Government A-status recognition, Armbrust said. The group would be one of few philanthropies to have A-status recognition and would have new opportunities to increase its annual activities.

After working with the university and representatives from Special Olympics of Illinois, the group separated its finances into two accounts and modified its fund-raising proposals.

Meyer said leaders also want to move the Spring Quarter event from Glenbrook North High School and Glenbrook South High School to another location where they can permanently settle.

“We’re looking for a place that we can call home for a long time,” Meyer said.