Cats alums tackle the NFL

This is the true story of three football players: revered in high school, signed by Northwestern, lauded during a dramatic 2000 season, coveted by pro scouts, drafted or signed, and then left to fend for themselves to see what happens when coaches stop being nice and the hits start getting real.

This is the real world — NFL.

This week’s episode takes us to the Bay Area, the coast of Lake Erie and the desert of Arizona. The cast comprises a confident starter, a tranquil backup and a reserve fighting to move up the depth chart.

Silver & BlACK

On April 20, Napoleon Harris went from NU’s draft-day golden boy to a jovial rookie sporting silver when the Oakland Raiders chose him with the 23rd pick. Four-and-a-half months later, he entered his first season with the Raiders, feeling the pressure of a first-round pick from a school rarely tapped for pro talent. And when he was dubbed a starter, expectations rose even higher.

But Harris, a three-year starter at NU, has handled himself with an attitude that fits perfectly with his new team.

“I know I’m blessed athletically. I know I can play,” he said with resolve.

And thus far, he has earned his keep as a starter. Still, with the swagger comes some adjustments. Harris has been getting re-acclimated to the linebacker spot after playing his last season at NU out of position at defensive end. In practice, Raiders’ coaches have stressed to him the importance of improving technique — especially using his hands more effectively.

Harris said the first half of the Raiders’ season has reminded him a bit of NU’s 2001 campaign: With lofty goals, Oakland started 4-0 but has since struggled in four consecutive losses. Not to mention the fact that the defense hasn’t been stellar.

Still, Harris sees a lot of potential in his new team, and he knows that he and fellow first-round pick Phillip Buchanan are key pieces of the franchise.

“We realize we’re the future of the team,” Harris said.

easy going

With a calming voice, linebacker Kevin Bentley describes his new role with the Cleveland Browns: “I’ve been playing a lot. Obviously, I’m not the main guy like I was in college. But I’m having fun and helping the team win.”

It has been a pretty smooth transition for Bentley, a fourth-round pick who has seen action in all but one game on defense or special teams. It’s partly due to coach Butch Davis, who has a similar “hands-on” style to that of NU coach Randy Walker, Bentley says. It’s partly due to the intense strength-training program at NU that prepared him to battle stronger players in the NFL. And it’s partly due to the mentoring he’s received from Browns veterans Brant Boyer, Dwayne Rudd and Earl Holmes.

Bentley, who injured his left hand Nov. 3 in a game against Pittsburgh, has made the most of his first few months in the NFL. He already has made a mark in the box scores — forcing one fumble, recovering another and blocking a punt.

“Those are monumental points in my career now,” Bentley said.

carpe d.a.

When the Arizona Cardinals called on Damien Anderson, the former Heisman hopeful was ready to go. Even though he was third on the team’s depth chart coming into the week, injuries to the team’s top two running backs gave the former NU standout a chance to start Oct. 6 against the Carolina Panthers — the NFL’s then-No. 1 defense.

“The coaches told me to be ready,” he said. “I stayed on top of everything. I knew my assignments, so when I got in, I wouldn’t keep making the same mistakes.”

Anderson seized the chance to start, rushing for 61 yards on 23 carries in the game, a 16-13 Arizona victory.

“It’s the opportunity you want,” Anderson said. “It was an awesome feeling. I knew I was competent enough the get the job done.”

Anderson has returned to the third string and is trying to find his niche on special teams and in the backfield. He said coaches have taught him to use his speed to get up the field quicker and to not just rely on outside running.

Anderson, who said his ankle and shoulder are feeling much better than they did during an injury-plagued 2001 season, had to adjust to NFL pass protections during training camp. And though he doesn’t lack confidence in his own abilities, he’s still out to silence his critics.

“Making the team was great for me,” Anderson said. “There were people out there who were counting me out. It felt good to prove them wrong.”

During an August preseason game, Anderson’s Cardinals met Harris’ Raiders. The two talked before the game, joked about being two of the few NU players on NFL rosters and re-united after the contest.

The two hope they’ll have many on-field encounters down the line. That would make for good ratings.