Speaker: Rap music aids society in Africa

To the untrained ear, the heavy beats of the Tanzanian rap group Hard Blasters Crew resonate as the African equivalent of Master P or Dr. Dre.

However, anthropologist Brad Weiss pointed out to a small gathering of about 17 Evanston residents and Northwestern faculty Monday afternoon that although American rap often glorifies the “bling bling,” its Tanzanian counterpart has become a strong voice.

This voice is used to express the importance of God and concerns about the social, political and economic disparities that plague the country.

“Rap is the voice of the people,” said Weiss, an associate professor from the College of William and Mary who is currently researching popular culture and globalization of Tanzania.

“(African) rappers spread wisdom concerning the importance of finding God’s grace and not being consumed by the wealth that African youths are exposed to through the media,” he said.

A decade ago there were no televisions and only one national radio in Tanzania. This era became a period of political and social turmoil as Tanzanians were introduced to other cultures, Weiss said.

Tanzanians became inundated by international media, including mainstream American hip-hop. Inspired by such artists as Tupac Shakur, African artists employed this artform as an educational vehicle to preach self-awareness, Weiss said.

“Urban youths see reality as being threatened by a lack of awareness,” Weiss said. Through reaching an understanding of oneself, youths will be able to avoid the temptations that plague society, such as greed, he said.

One popular Tanzanian song played during the speech, “Think Ahead” by Hard Blasters Crew, tells the story and spiritual epiphany of Jay, a young man once obsessed with wealth who overcomes greed through devotion to God. The song includes phrases such as, “money is the devil” and “love of money destroys the possibility of learning.”

“The influx of capitalism in the mid ’90s made (Tanzanians) aware that wealth was available for some people,” Weiss said. “But for the majority it was not.”

Many Tanzanian rappers speak of wealth but stress that it breeds corruption more than happiness, Weiss said. At the same time, youths flock to gem mines in hopes of striking it rich during a period of extreme economic depression, he said.

While American hip-hop continues to influence Tanzanian youths, Weiss said that African rappers have different goals. American rappers tend to glorify wealth and material goods. Many Tanzanians even criticize rappers like P. Diddy for only being interested in money rather than using their power to spread important messages.

Weiss’ message rang true to Evanston resident Tasha Dennison who said she feels strongly about hip-hop today.

“Hip-hop has sold out in America,” Dennison said. “While it started with similar goals of African rap, those are not the messages that it currently relays to the public.”