Farmers’ Market fresh alternative for shoppers

Famed vegetarian chef and author Deborah Madison signed copies of her newest book about America’s farmers’ markets Saturday morning at an appropriate location: the Evanston Farmers’ Market.

Madison was in Evanston to sign her latest book, “Local Flavors: Recipes, Menus and Insights from America’s Farmers’ Markets.” “Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone”, one of Madison’s previous books, won the Julia Child Cookbook of the Year Award in 1998.

Madison said she was impressed with the Evanston Farmers’ Market, where thirty-three vendors sold goods, ranging from flowers and vegetables to breads and jams.

“I found varieties of Italian greens I had not seen before,” she said, referring to vegetables from Kinnikinnick Farms of Caledonia, Ill.

Madison is the founder of San Francisco’s Greens Restaurant and a freelance writer for cooking magazines, including “Cooking Light” and “Bon Appetit.” She was in Evanston between visits to markets in St. Louis and California.

The smell of fresh apples and other ripe fruits greeted Madison and other visitors to the Evanston Farmers’ Market, held every Saturday from the second week in May until the first week of November.

Among the visitors was Tira Lobell, a Weinberg senior. “This is a great resource because the food is so fresh,” she said. “It’s a shame when the market goes away in the winter.”

Vendors gave samples of bread and tomatoes to the crowd, who ranged from toddlers to older adults. Vendor Ed Gast, who has been travelling to Evanston from Michigan each weekend during the market season for the past 20 years, noted a great turnout.

Evanston resident Betta Chaudruc, 42, brought her daughters, Daisy, 4, and Sofia, 2. They came in search of apple cider and mums.

Chaudruc also said that her girls were having fun listening to the Chicago Mountain String Band, a folk music group that performed.

“I didn’t realize how extensive the market would be,” Chaudruc said. “And the prices are good.”

Donna Stuckert, Evanston’s community information coordinator, said that approximately 3,000 people were expected at last Saturday’s market. The market has been held for the past 29 years. It began when a group of Evanston residents approached the Evanston City Council with the idea for an outdoor market.

The Farmers’ Market is held at the intersection of University Place and Oak Avenue from 7:30 a.m to 1:00 p.m.