NU groups get ready for November elections

With the Illinois general election approaching, student groups and administrators are planning events before the Nov. 5 election to interest students in local and statewide politics.

A debate between state Rep. Julie Hamos, D-Evanston, and her challenger, Republican James O’Hara, will be held in Cahn Auditorium on Oct. 8.

The event is sponsored by Associated Student Government, the Undergraduate Leadership Program and the Office of Student Affairs. The Office of Government Relations, which lobbies on behalf of Northwestern in both Springfield and Washington, also will sponsor the debate.

Both the College Democrats and College Republicans have been planning events aimed at increasing student awareness of the election.

The College Democrats are sponsoring a voter registration rally tonight at 7 p.m. at Cahn featuring the Rev. Jesse Jackson.

Tina Valkanoff, College Democrats president and a Weinberg senior, said students should learn about Illinois politics and register to vote in Evanston.

“Illinois laws will affect (students) in Evanston, and (students) should get involved where they are,” she said.

The College Democrats also are sponsoring an Oct. 11 speech by former New Jersey senator and Democratic presidential candidate Bill Bradley.

Valkanoff also said the group expects to send a group of students to Missouri to work on the campaign of U.S. Sen. Jean Carnahan, D-Mo.

The College Republicans will sponsor visits Sunday by O’Hara and U.S. Rep. Mark Steven Kirk, R-Ill., who represents most of Chicago’s northern suburbs, excluding Evanston.

Katie Althen, the College Republican’s president said the group hopes to draw students from outside Illinois to its events.

“If you’re a student who believes in an ideology, it is important to work for candidates in all states,” said Althen, a Weinberg junior.

Bruce Layton, special assistant to the president for government relations, said NU’s administration decided to keep the focus on local legislative races.

“If students requested gubernatorial candidates, we would have them,” he said.

Layton said his office will work with students to plan more political events if they show enough interest.

“Students can have a big impact on a local race,” Layton said. “It’s important for students to be involved as citizens and as voters.”

ASG President Rachel Lopez said students need to stay aware of political events regardless of party affiliation.

“We’re not living in a bubble here,” said Lopez, a Weinberg senior. “Everything affects us.”