Campuses fight date rape drug using new pocket-sized coasters

To help prevent student assault, several major universities have ordered coasters that test for Rohypnol, a commonly used date rape drug.

The coasters, produced by Drink Safe Technology, fit into a pocket and can test up to two drinks. About 68 undisclosed universities in the United States have ordered these coasters or similar products that detect date rape drugs, said Francisco Guerra, president of Drink Safe Technology.

The coasters are relatively simple to use and sell for only 40 cents. If a person suspects his or her drink has been drugged, the drinker can simply put a small amount of liquid on the coaster from a straw or even a finger. If Rohypnol is detected, the coaster will change color.

Brian Glover, co-founder of Drink Safe Technology, said the coasters could test for any drug in a person’s drink.

“We wanted to create awareness about the problem (of date rape) and possibly create something that may also work as a deterrent,” said Glover, a dentist who was involved in the scientific process of creating the kits.

More than 70,000 people ages 18 to 24 fall victim to alcohol-related rape or sexual assault each year, according to a study released in April by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. At Northwestern, only one reported case of sexual assault occurred in 2000, according to University Police’s Web site.

“Acquaintance rape does happen here,” said Jamie Jimenez, NU’s coordinator of sexual assault education. Jimenez said that although statistics are low, no place is immune to the problem. NU currently does not supply such coasters or personal kits, but Jimenz said the university would look into anything that could benefit students and limit the number of those assaulted.

One school that has ordered the coasters is St. Mary’s University in Halifax, Nova Scotia. St. Mary’s distributed the product to all incoming freshmen, and coasters also are available to all other students.

“People have been very interested in them,” said Donnie Jeffrey, St. Mary’s personal counselor. “I don’t think every person will try them … but they help self-educate people.”

But the absence of coasters at NU does not mean the university is ignoring the problem of date rape. Jimenez said NU will display awareness posters all over campus.

“(The posters) will be talking about the influence and side effects of date rape drugs,” she said. “They’ll have eye-catching graphics so hopefully people will read them and see them.”

NU also plans to hold a workshop on acquaintance rape later this fall.