Schara, Ribas providing a spark for NU

There’s a rendering of Napoleon – I can’t say where I’ve seen it, but it’s probably in every European history textbook at Norris Bookstore and SBX – that shows the great French emperor in a classic pose. His back is arched, his hands rest on his hips, he’s exuding a fierce air of confidence and, of course, that certain je ne sais quoi.

His stature has been emulated countless times – most recently, and most locally, by ineffable Northwestern pitcher Zach Schara.

The senior hurler dictates the pace of a game and celebrates a strikeout with a Carlos Perez-like fist-pump. His attention span seems short at times, but that’s only because his mind is on his next start or next strikeout.

He’s notorious for his loud voice, and not only on the baseball field.

Schara and his partner in crime, NU pitcher Gabe Ribas, have been buddies since they were both thrust into the starting rotation their freshman year, even competing that season for the No. 1 spot.

But any animosity that might have been present dissolved quickly, giving birth to one of the most dynamic duos NU athletics has to offer.

Take their behavior at an NU softball game against Michigan State two weeks ago.

“Gabe and I were doing some heckling,” Schara said. “I don’t know if it was right, but it was pretty funny. (Michigan State) lost the game 5-4, and this girl walked off the mound, and I felt a little bad … she was crying a little bit.”

Their antics are the same across the athletic complex at Rocky Miller Park.

To start, it’s a treat to watch them dominate on the mound, and it’s going to be tedious to read through the NU pitching record book after the season. Ribas’ 90 mph fastball and Schara’s nasty hook/changeup combination have already sent them atop a slew of major categories.

They’re much more relaxed in the dugout, however, creating an enlivened atmosphere underscored with the usual dose of domineer.

“I try to keep it pretty loose but also intense,” Schara said. “I’m always telling a couple jokes here and there, but obviously be pretty serious about playing some baseball. On funny plays or on goofy plays, you make jokes out of them, but then you let it relax. It’s not something you hang on.”

It’s only natural that they should stay active in the dugout, considering they only make one or two appearances a week.

“Growing up, we both probably played in every inning of every game,” Ribas said. “I played first, and he played outfield and first and stuff like that when we weren’t pitching. When you get here, you’re just a pitcher, and you have to find something to bring to the park every day.

“We have been known to get a little loud at times, yes. Shocking, shocking that we would be loud.”

Ribas and Schara might have their last chance to make some noise for the Wildcats on the road this weekend when NU heads to Iowa City, Iowa, for a series that has major playoff implications for both teams.

If NU doesn’t make the postseason, Schara’s and Ribas’ college careers will be over three weeks from now.

They’re nearly assured of being drafted into the professional ranks June 4-5, which for some might lead to a nasty case of senioritis. But they’re not experiencing any ennui.

“We probably talk about (getting drafted) every day, ” Ribas said. “But it’s not a distraction right now. We’re in a playoff race. That’s what’s first and foremost in our minds.”

Makes sense – after all, Napoleon would never look beyond the battle at hand. Let’s just hope Schara and Ribas have a better end result.