It’s official: D.A. finished

After a week-and-a-half of loud speculation, Damien Anderson said Tuesday that he will have surgery sometime in the next two weeks to repair a torn labrum in his shoulder, officially ending his NU career and a disappointing senior season that started with Heisman Trophy hopes.

The surgery will be performed by Chicago Bears doctor Mark Bowen, as soon as he is available to accommodate Anderson.

“He’s pretty packed, so basically his first opening, I’m there,” Anderson said.

The running back said he ruled out playing the rest of this season or in a bowl game when an MRI concluded on Nov. 5 that he had sustained the tear.

“Once I talked to Dr. Bowen and some doctors and officials here, I found out that was the best thing for me,” Anderson said. “I didn’t want to be put behind the 8-ball when the time comes, and I’m getting looked at as far as NFL doctors. When they see that I have this problem in my shoulder, I want to get it corrected now, rehab and come back as strong as ever.”

Bowen told Anderson that, as an NFL doctor himself, he would not downgrade the senior’s value as a possible draft pick because of the surgery. The assurance from Bowen, Anderson said, convinced him to have the surgery now so that he could recover in time for the winter scrutiny of professional team physicians.

And he’s thankful that the injury wasn’t much worse.

“I was lucky enough to just have a torn labrum and not further damage like a rotator cuff,” Anderson said. “Actually, if you want to have a good tear, this is a good one.”

Before sustaining the injury against Indiana two weeks ago, Anderson had been struggling to duplicate the record-setting numbers he posted last year. He finished this season with six straight sub-100-yard performances, 757 yards and eight touchdowns — stats that fall well short of his 2000 campaign.

But his career still ranks as one of the most productive in Wildcats history, and NU coach Randy Walker praised the back’s accomplishments despite his difficult final season.

“Obviously I’m disappointed that he got hurt, selfishly and unselfishly, because he deserved a better finish,” Walker said.

Anderson had the option to enter the NFL draft last winter. But he said he doesn’t dwell on the thought that he could have gone pro instead of opting for another Big Ten championship run with the Cats.

“Hindsight is always 20/20,” he said. “If you try and live in the past, you’re always going to think, ‘I wish I did this, I wish I did that.’ But I have to live in the future and worry about the circumstance I’m in now.”

Early audition: Walker is getting a good look at backup quarterback Tony Stauss a little earlier than he expected.

Stauss played the last series against Indiana on Nov. 3 and all of the fourth quarter against Iowa. He finished the game Saturday completing 11 of 14 passes for 50 yards with no interceptions. And he helped send the Cats trudging off the field on somewhat of a positive note, throwing a 2-yard touchdown pass to Trai Essex with 2:45 remaining in the game.

“I wish I hadn’t looked at him the last two games, but it’s good for him,” Walker said.

All season, Stauss has been playing what Walker considers the toughest role in college football — the backup quarterback, who has to prepare like a starter, but who rarely sees any playing time.

“You sit on the sidelines and literally have to play every play mentally in your head,” Stauss said. “It’s definitely frustrating because every time Zak would get a big hit, I’d be wondering if he’s going to be coming out of the game or staying in. It’s kind of a little roller coaster.”

streak stopped: Receiver Jon Schweighardt didn’t catch a pass against Iowa Saturday for the first time in a game this season. The junior was sidelined by a minor ankle sprain sustained against Indiana, but he said Tuesday that he is healed and will be available to play against Bowling Green.

Walker said the move was precautionary, and Schweighardt conceded that his presence on the field against Iowa couldn’t have put too much of a dent in the 59-16 final score.

“There wasn’t much any one person could do,” Schweighardt said, “unless there was a way we could get a 40-point play.”

Day to remember: Before the last home game of the season, the Cats’ 14 seniors will be honored. All will appear in the starting lineup, with the exception of the injured trio of running back Damien Anderson, safety Marvin Brown and defensive end Pete Konopka.

“The thing about football that you remember is your first and your last game that you start,” said senior Adam Fay, who will start in place of junior Jeff Roehl at right guard. “And it’s definitely going to be something that I remember down the road.”