Misdemeanor charges dropped against NU faculty for activity during pro-Palestinian encampment

Letters to the editor

U.S. foreign policy includes killing innocent civilians

As a U.S. citizen, I object to Fred Noyes’ gross mischaracterization of U.S. foreign policy in his Tuesday guest column. Saying the United States does not “intentionally target civilians” is akin to saying the Taliban aren’t really about Islamic fundamentalism. In numerous instances, from Nicaragua to Vietnam, U.S. foreign policy has included killing and terrorizing civilians as a means of weakening support for a regime from the local population, which more often than not is opposed to the United States’ particular brand of imperialism. Noyes seems to think that because this isn’t openly acknowledged as a goal, it doesn’t exist. He probably doesn’t think bombing Afghanistan has anything to do with extracting oil from the Caspian Sea, either.

In the last Balkan struggle, the United States obliterated power plants and television stations, killing plenty of civilians along the way. They said it was because those installations were aiding the enemy. That’s probably the same logic the hijackers applied to the Pentagon and the World Trade Towers two months ago.

Joseph Vess

Medill ’01

U.S. military draft ensures safety, integrity of citizens

Mark Roberts’ Monday letter argued against the draft in the United States. He was correct in stating that the primary role of the government is to protect our rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but he was confused as to how national defense and our rights entwine. In order to protect these rights, the government’s role must be to protect the safety of its citizens.

The government must do this through the cooperation of the nation and sometimes through a draft. As it is the duty for the government to provide defense, it is our duty as citizens to accept the fact that we may need to be called upon in a time of war. Consent should not be a question when it comes to rights, just as it should not be a question when it comes to national defense.

Stop your liberal-minded nonsense about the government owing us so much and think about what we may owe our country. As citizens of the United States, we have a right to serve in a time of need. We need to accept this responsibility and take pride in the fact that we can do so by offering the government our services if called upon. That is what shapes liberty. That is what shapes the United States.

Bryan Tolles

Weinberg freshman

Police roadblocks need OK from Constitution to occur

I appreciate Susan Daker’s article on police roadblocks in Monday’s Daily. The reporting seems fair and accurate. But there is one lingering question on my mind: Is this constitutional?

I am not a constitutional law scholar, but doesn’t the Fourth Amendment prohibit unreasonable searches and siezures? And if police stopped every car and asked drivers to pull into the Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary parking lot, where is the “reason”?

I rode my bicycle past officers doing the same thing last year, but was afraid to ask. Maybe there is some loophole in the Constitution that allows officers to go ahead and pull over and search everyone without cause, but if so, I’d at least like to read about it.

Jonathan Baum

Medill senior