Youth movement doesn’t rattle Cats

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind.-Two weeks ago, Northwestern cornerback Marvin Ward was the youngest member of a starting defensive backfield that otherwise included only juniors and seniors. But when the redshirt freshman took the field Saturday against Purdue, he looked around and discovered he was suddenly one of the veterans.

With two starts under his belt, Ward has become one of the leaders on defense, as recent injuries forced head coach Randy Walker to start new faces at left tackle, strong safety and free safety.

Saturday’s starting lineup featured four freshmen, and throughout the game NU introduced a handful of newcomers Walker had hoped wouldn’t become familiar names until at least next season.

“Most of it is just by necessity — Marvin Brown and Sean Wieber have basically limped through practice for the last two weeks,” Walker said, referring to his usual starting safeties, both upperclassmen.

“It is a little troublesome. I didn’t think I’d look up and watch us playing four freshmen up the middle.”

After a poor defensive performance in last week’s loss to Penn State, Walker said he wanted to shake up the defense. He then lamented that he didn’t have the depth to make any changes.

But a bench full of battered players forced him to do this week.

The Wildcats started a pair of freshmen on the line in tackles Thomas Derricks and Colby Clark. Sophomore Mark Roush and freshman Dominique Price took over for Wieber and Brown in the secondary. And freshman linebacker John Pickens and cornerback Herschel Henderson also saw considerable playing time.

Henderson, who recorded three tackles in the game, was making his first appearance in a college game.

But Price said he never paused to notice that many of those next to him came from his own recruiting class — or that the veteran options to turn to for leadership were slim.

“You don’t have time to think about it,” Price said. “Before the game I was talking to some of the other freshmen about this being our first collegiate start. But I was just saying, ‘It’s football. Most of us have been playing football almost all our lives. So you just get out there and play like it’s always been.'”

With eight tackles, Price finished the game fourth on the team, only behind NU’s trio of solid linebackers. He dragged down Purdue running back Montrell Lowe several times, although the Cats defense allowed Lowe to double his 50 yards per game average this season.

“Dominique’s real mature,” Ward said. “He studies a lot and he really didn’t have that many questions. He’s accountable when he’s out there on the field and we don’t really have to worry about him.”

After starting the game, Price split time with Brown at strong safety. Walker said Brown missed the start because of a number of minor injuries that have accumulated over the season. But Wieber, who has had ankle and knee problems, didn’t make it into the game at all after sitting out the first few practices this week.

Although he is not at full speed, Wieber is capable of playing, Walker said. But the combination of his ailments and the recent performance of Price and Henderson left the junior on the sideline.

This season, NU middle linebacker Billy Silva has seen injuries ravage both the line in front of him and now the secondary behind him. But the weekly changes in the starting lineup have become routine, and Silva said he has full confidence in NU’s latest additions.

“I hate to see anyone go down,” he said. “I’ve had my fair share of injuries and they’re no fun at all. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone, not even our opponent. But the next guy who steps in, he’s going to do his thing.”

“I actually think it’s going to help, because if they’re getting experience right now in these tough ballgames, when we’re in that situation in the future it’s going to (be easier),” Ward said, changing his tone.

“We still have to play this year, we’re still trying to go to a bowl game, so you really can’t look at next year. But I think it’s real good experience for everybody.”