Pastor gets a new command

Pastor Hycel B. Taylor gave his last sermon Sunday after serving 29 years as the senior pastor at Second Baptist Church, 1717 Benson St.

Taylor will give his first sermon at the Pilgrim Baptist Church in Chicago next Sunday as that congregation’s new leader. Taylor said he also plans to “enter the political arena.” Taylor, a longtime community activist, said the Sept. 11 attacks influenced his decision to leave.

“On September 11, something catastrophic happened, not only in the nation but in the world,” he said. “People tried to refuge in religion to pacify, calm and soothe because the pain was so great. I got a new command, a new ship, but the same spirit. I will go where God sends me.”

Before the attacks, Taylor said, he had plans of staying at Second Baptist until he retired. But he said he realized after the events that religious leaders need to address worldwide issues.

“We are aware now as religious leaders that we need conversation with other religious leaders,” he said. “Religion as a whole is a decisive answer to the problems we have in this world.”

Churches need to re-think themselves theologically, Taylor added. Instead of focusing solely on their church, parishioners should be more active in their communities.

In addition to pursuing political involvement, Taylor said, his new position at Pilgrim Baptist would give him the facilities and resources to embark upon “creative adventures” through the establishment of a performing arts academy for young people and a training program for seminary students.

For almost three decades, Taylor has dealt with community issues such as public housing and gang violence in Evanston. Bennett J. Johnson, president of the Evanston branch of the NAACP, said Taylor was “a civil rights handyman.”

“He’s very reliable and conscious of the needs of the community,” Johnson said. “Whatever has needed repairing, he’s been there for.”

Second Baptist Deacon Warren Howlett said the congregation was disappointed to see Taylor go but supported his decision.

“God created a kind of catharsis to get Taylor out of his comfort zone,” he said.

At Sunday’s service, several church groups sang songs and offered gifts to Taylor, including a plaque and a framed award, to honor his years of service to Second Baptist. Ushers also distributed programs containing goodbye letters written by members of the congregation.

Taylor thanked the congregation for their support over the years.

“It’s been a tremendous experience,” he said. “I see so many wonderful people who are essential to who I am.”

About 250 people attended the service, including Evanston Mayor Lorraine Morton. She told Taylor that it hurt to see him go but that he was “never just an Evanston man.”

Congregation member Shannon Walton of Des Plaines said she was surprised to hear he was leaving. Taylor was a great spiritual leader, she said.

Although Taylor said his departure would create temporary confusion within the church community, he also said he was proud of Second Baptist and its achievements.

“I do not go out with malice,” Taylor said, referring to a Bible passage. “I go out with a great sense of joy. I have confidence that this church will go on.”