As-Am group to unite race, gender

A Spring Quarter history class about Asian-American women inspired two students to use what they learned outside the classroom.

Medill graduate student Michelle Tan and Speech senior Peggy Yu made a proposal for an Asian-American women’s group as their final project and decided to follow through on it this year.

The group, Asian-American Women’s Organization, started this quarter and meets twice a month to “talk about, dissect and eradicate Asian-American women’s stereotypes,” Tan said.

“Basically, Asian-American women are the biggest minority on campus, and there are different issues that they face that the (Asian American Advisory Board), Women’s Coalition and other groups don’t cover,” Tan said. “We need a forum to discuss them, ranging from stereotypes to how they’re doing in school.”

“The way we see it is that women of color have to choose between their gender and ethnicity,” Yu said. “We wanted an organization … that encompasses both.”

Eight students gathered Wednesday night for the group’s third meeting this quarter, Tan said.

Several students signed up at the activities fair, and AAWO has spread the word mainly through e-mails and word of mouth, Tan said.

But Tan admits not everyone has responded positively.

“There are people who don’t think it is for them,” Tan said. “It depends on people’s definition of Asian.”

AAWO is not only for Asian-American females, but for anyone who is interested in discussing these issues, Tan said. Previous meetings have attracted one Caucasian female and one male.

One of AAWO’s goals is to create a sense of community among Asian-American women, Tan said. She said she noticed certain stereotypes on campus such as the “white-washed Asian” that prevent students from coming together.

“It’s not necessary to have this division,” Tan said. “We all face the same kind of sexism and racism.”

The group also plans to invite speakers and organize forums throughout the year.

AAWO will be involved with the Women in Leadership conference this year and is working with the Panhellenic Association on a forum about Asian-American students going Greek, Yu said.

The group also has organized a trip to see comedian Margaret Cho perform on Nov. 9.

AAWO is applying for recognition with the Multicultural Center, which would allow them to receive funding for various events, Tan said.

“We’re not looking to be this huge organization,” Yu said. “If we impact one person, then we’ve done our job.”

Weinberg freshman Leena Bhattacharya came to Wednesday’s meeting with her roommate for the first time because she wanted to see what the group was about.

“After we heard about it, we wanted to get more involved in different support groups,” Bhattacharya said. “Everybody comes to college to learn more about themselves and other people.”

Tan said she would like to see AAWO continue after its founding members graduate in June. But she isn’t worried about the group’s future.

“We’re excited that it’s happening and the response we’ve gotten,” Tan said. “We’re slowly gaining recognition.”