Free tutoring program grows with local schools

First-quarter progress reports go out today at Evanston Township High School, and while they may be bad news for some students, they also may be just the push needed to obtain the help offered by the Invest program.

Invest, a 20-year-old nonprofit community organization, sponsors a tutoring program at ETHS and Evanston/Skokie School District 65 schools.

Its 10-year program at ETHS matches both peer tutors and tutors from the community with students at the school who need academic help.

“The program is growing because school is growing,” Invest President Susan Powell said.

Last year, 237 students were matched with volunteer tutors. Students are tutored at school during free periods in their school day.

“This high school is a microcosm of our community,” Hayman said. “There are people functioning at all levels.”

Powell said the only changes to the tutoring program this year include better training manuals for tutors.

But according to Powell and Rachel Hayman, who is serving her second year as District 202 coordinator, the greatest need for tutors is in the math and science areas.

“In math, if you’re not getting the basics you won’t be able to get further,” Hayman said.

At ETHS, most tutors are peers, such as National Honor Society students, who receive community service credit for their time.

But for some, including 17-year-old high school senior Maggie Coyne, the desire to tutor goes far beyond credit hours.

“I’ve always wanted to be a teacher,” Coyne said. “It’s half community service, half personal.”

Coyne has tutored students mostly in algebra and Spanish since her sophomore year.

“There’s a sense of satisfaction when you see the lightbulb going off in someone’s head, because I have been there,” she said.

Coyne said she works with one or two students a year, reflecting Hayman’s philosophy of maintaining congruity.

“I’m trying to build some continuity between student and tutor,” Hayman said.

Hayman said that currently one adult community volunteer is starting a second year with the same student, and another is beginning a third year.

Last year, the school had 20 community volunteers.

These community volunteers range from young professionals to retirees to parents who want to spend some time at the school.

“I think (the volunteers) bring a new perspective,” Hayman said. Through the one-on-one tutoring, Hayman said she hopes the relationships adults have with students can deepen into mentoring.

“(These are) very fruitful relationships in the student’s life, not just academically,” Hayman said. “(They can be) part of that student’s support network.”

Hayman said the tutoring program is very easy for students to access.

But Powell said students also must share some of the burden and take the initiative to receive assistance.

“Each program casts out a safety net,” Hayman said.

“We encourage kids to come but don’t run after them,” she said. “The kids who want the tutor must be regular and attend.”

Last year, three Northwestern students were tutors in the program, and although none is currently involved, Hayman said she hopes others will join.

“We’ve had nothing but good experiences (with Northwestern students),” she said. “They’re great role models.”