WR Simmons should play on Saturday

Wide receiver Sam Simmons has had his status upgraded from “doubtful” to “positive” to start Saturday’s home opener against Michigan State after fracturing a finger in last weekend’s 44-7 rout of Duke.

Coach Randy Walker stopped just short of declaring his star receiver a definite go for the weekend, allowing conspirators and Spartans fans to continue speculating.

“It’s the kind of thing they think he’ll be able to play with, so we are expecting him to play,” Walker said. “Our anticipation is very positive at this point.”

Simmons was not at practice Tuesday. The senior had a pair of pins inserted into his right ring finger Monday night and reacted poorly to anesthesia the next day.

“I saw him today, and we just told him to go home,” Walker said Tuesday. “There was no sense in him coming here and being sick. He looked bad.”

Simmons left the Duke game in the first half with both a concussion and a fractured finger. Although the concussion alone would not have kept him out of the game, his finger posed a larger problem. When Simmons left the game he was on pace to match his 161-yard performance against UNLV on Sept. 7 that earned him NU’s offensive player of the game honors. He left

Wallace Wade Stadium having posted 65 yards on just a pair of receptions.

Walker said on Monday he was both concerned and uncertain about whether Simmons could play this weekend. But the procedure went well Monday night, the coach said Tuesday.

When he resumes play, Simmons will take the field with his fingers taped up.

“Sam’s tough,” middle linebacker Billy Silva said. “He’s got the mentality of a linebacker.”

COMPACT DISC: Backup defensive end Pete Konopka also exited the Duke game early with an injury. The senior was suffering from back pains, most likely related to a chronic disc problem.

Konopka developed more severe back spasms Sunday. He had difficulty getting off a training table and was carried to Evanston Memorial Hospital where he was attached to an intravenous drip.

Although trainers and doctors aren’t sure what the problem is, Konopka was told it does not directly involve any of the discs in his back and he won’t need surgery. Walker said, however, that for the time being he won’t play against Michigan State.

“He’s worked awful hard and been contributing more than he’s ever contributed,” Walker said. “It’s not the way you want things to go for a kid like that.”

SAFETY FIRST: Fans planning to bring purses, bags and backpacks to Saturday’s home opener will encounter increased security at Ryan Field. The suspicious accessories, as well as previously-banned noisemakers and alcohol, will not be permitted into the stadium.

An increased number of security and stadium personnel will also be a part of the the new precautions brought on by the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. Additionally, a “no-fly zone” has been established within a one-nautical mile radius of the stadium, effective between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Saturday.

“We’re encouraging fans to come early and expect delays at stadium entrances,” NU Director of Athletics Rick Taylor said in a statement. “We want our fans to enjoy the game in a safe environment, yet realize they may have to make some personal sacrifices.”

U.S. flag stickers will be given to fans at the stadium entrance. A special pregame ceremony will be held to honor the victims of the attacks and a moment of silence will be observed.

Remembering Rashidi: Saturday’s moment of silence will also serve as a tribute to Rashidi Wheeler, the NU senior safety who collapsed and died on the practice field Aug. 3. Wheeler’s No. 30 was retired before the season began.

The tribute had originally been slated for the Sept. 15 home opener against Navy, which was canceled because of the terrorist attacks.

Inches to go: Damien Anderson’s four-touchdown, 189-yard showing against Duke last weekend earned the senior running back co-Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week honors for the third time in his NU career. Anderson shared the award with Michigan State wide receiver Charles Rogers. … Junior Sean Wieber, who missed last week’s game with a sprained ankle, will return to free safety this week despite backup Mark Roush’s interception and three solo tackles against Duke.