Evanston mayor recognized for cancer awareness efforts

Evanston’s mayor and the city itself were honored last week for taking the initiative to promote cancer awareness among residents.

Mayor Lorraine Morton helped Evanston become one of two cities in Illinois, and 27 nationwide, to be recognized by the U.S. Conference of Mayors Best Practices Center for helping the city fight cancer in its early stages.

Morton was cited for her personal involvement with prevention programs orchestrated in the past, like “Spa of Hope,” an event that gave 25 breast cancer survivors massages, makeovers and manicures last August. The mayor was also noted for speaking in public about early detection of the disease during National Breast Cancer Awareness Month and for speaking before audiences at a local play, “The Gift of Hope,” in October 1999.

The Evanston Department of Health was also recognized for publicly promoting breast and prostate cancer awareness by partnering with other organizations like Cook County and the American Cancer Society. The health department’s work with county officials has led to several community prostate cancer screenings that targeted black men from Evanston’s West Side who were tested at local churches and shops.

Morton, who is also a member of the conference of mayors, said the award is strictly based on what the city submits.

“If (the health department) wants me as a motivational speaker, I’ll do it,” she said. “Here in Evanston, what is being done is done through them.”