D65 names new principals for Park, Willard schools

Two new principals were appointed to schools in Evanston/Skokie School District 65 after being approved at a June 18 school board meeting.

The principals chosen, Matthew J. Ottaviano and Shelley M. Paulson Carey, both are newcomers to the district. Ottaviano was appointed to Park School, 828 Main St., and Paulson Carey will take over at Willard School, 2700 Hurd Ave., next fall.

Ottaviano’s last post was as principal of Central School in Glencoe’s School District 35. Before Central, Ottaviano worked at New Trier High School for 18 years in several positions including the director of special education, assistant principal for special services and dean of students.

Ottaviano earned both his master’s and bachelor’s degree in special education from Northeastern Illinois University in Chicago.

Paulson Carey will replace Barbara Wiesley at Willard. Wiesley is stepping down after 34 years in education.

Paulson Carey will come to District 65 from Euclid School in Mt. Prospect where she was the school’s assistant principal since 1999. Before Euclid, Paulson Carey was principal of St. Tarcissus School for 10 years.

The new Willard School principal earned her master’s in education at the University of Illinois-Chicago and her bachelor’s degree in education and psychology from Cornell College in Mount Vernon, Iowa.

In September, Paulson Carey will begin work on her Ph.D. in education from National-Louis University.

“She has a great school, wonderful students and a very involved parent group,” Wiesley said. “It’s at terrific place to come to work.”