Students peddle concerns about lack of bike racks

Bike racks may be Northwestern’s newest battle grounds.

Because prime bike rack real estate is hard to come by, students resort to hanging their bikes from trees or locking their bikes to signs, buildings – pretty much anything stationary.

“The racks that I do see are incredibly small,” said Pritul Patel, a Weinberg sophomore. “I can’t fit my bike on them, and I have to tie my bike up to the handrails on stairs.”

Patel, who said he attaches his bike to the steps of University Hall when he has class on South Campus, is not alone in his woes. Weinberg junior Ankur Garg had his bike dismantled in the Ayers College of Commerce and Industry bike room.

“People stole my seat and my bike wheel because there was no bike rack in the CCI bike room,” Garg said. “That really pissed me off.”

Garg said the lack of rack space has forced him to improvise when parking his bike.

“When I can’t find a spot, I lock it to construction barrels,” he said. “No one will mess with one of those.”

Weinberg sophomore Rohini Vajaria said the paucity of racks costs her time and anguish.

“Sometimes at Tech in the mornings, it is hard to find a spot for my bike,” Vajaria said. “Sometimes I am late for class. I always find a spot; it just takes a while.”

Vajaria said at times she has to resort to putting her lock through only the wheels and frame, forcing would-be thieves to carry the bike instead of being able to ride it away. “I’ve done that at Norris when there aren’t any spots,” Vajaria said.

Courtney Brunsfeld, student services vice president for Associated Student Government, said she knows the lack of bike racks is a problem that needs to be addressed. She also said that with warmer weather approaching, the issue needs to be alleviated soon.

“I’ve seen bikes on trees and signs, so I think there are definitely a lack of racks,” said Brunsfeld, a Weinberg sophomore. “More people will be bringing bikes from home (in the spring and summer).”

Brunsfeld said she thinks that fixing the bike rack problem could be as simple as calling facilities management.

“I think students often don’t know where to complain, so they complain to each other,” she said. Brunsfeld plans to put in a call to facilities management herself.

Patel said more racks will translate to happier students.

“I’m a big fan of more racks,” Patel said. “It’ll bring up the campus morale.”