Misdemeanor charges dropped against NU faculty for activity during pro-Palestinian encampment

Five-mile race to benefit trees along Evanston’s lakefront

Evanston joggers will run to benefit the city greenscape in Sunday’s Arbor Day Five Race.

The annual five-mile race, sponsored by the City of Evanston, the Evanston Running Club and Ofischl Sports, will begin at 9 a.m. at Greenleaf Street on the lakeshore south of campus.

Organizer Jim Ferrera said proceeds from the event will go toward planting more trees along the lakefront.

“There is always a need to plant trees because of losses due to Dutch elm disease,” Ferrera said. “It is the tree planters of each generation who bear the gift of trees for future generations.”

From Greenleaf Street, the race route heads north on Sheridan Road. At Lincoln Street it turns east through the Northwestern campus and then south through several lakeshore parks until it reaches Greenleaf Street again.

Racers will be separated into age and gender divisions. Competitors also can register in the wheelchair division.

Registration, which costs $15 will be open Saturday morning between 7:30 a.m. and 8:45 a.m.

First- through third-place finishers in each division will receive an award and a gift certificate to Ofischl Sports, 1521 Sherman Ave. The top finishers in each division will receive a $100 gift certificate.

One of the trees will be dedicated to the race winners with a marker.

For more information, call (847) 448-8046.