Northside Robber’ hits Evanston in fourth bank heist, police say

Federal investigators are searching for the man who robbed an Evanston bank Tuesday afternoon, and who is believed to be responsible for three similar bank heists in the North Shore area.

The suspect entered the World Savings Bank, 2289 Howard St., around 4 p.m. Tuesday and handed the teller a note that read, “$5,000. No games,” said Cmdr. Chuck Wernick of the Evanston Police Department.

Ross Rice, a spokesman for the Federal Bureau of Investigations in Chicago, said the bank teller told FBI officials that the man, described as a white male in his late 20s or early 30s with dark hair and a mustache, did not indicate he had a weapon.

The man took the money prepared by the teller and fled by foot east on Howard Street, Rice said. Bank officials were not able to notify the EPD in time for them to search for the robber, said Rice.

A preliminary police investigation determined that the teller handed $735 over to the robber, Wernick said.

FBI officials announced Wednesday that the man who robbed World Savings Bank is the man who they believe is the “Northside Robber” and is responsible for three similar incidents in Chicago and Niles.

Rice said surveillance photographs and the manner in which the bank was robbed indicate that the same man was involved in the three other incidents.

“The way these banks were robbed are all the same,” Rice said. “A note was used in each of these robberies. (Each note used) may be exact, may be a variation.”

Rice said it is common for bank robbers not to reveal weapons. The other robberies include First National Bank of Wheaton in Chicago, 7757 W. Devon Ave., on Dec. 7; LaSalle Bank in Chicago, 4738 N. Cumberland, on March 21; and TCF Bank in Niles, 7759 N. Milwaukee Ave., on March 22.

No injuries were reported after Tuesday’s robbery in Evanston, FBI officials said. World Savings Bank was open for regular business hours Wednesday.

A spokesman for World Savings was not available for comment Wednesday.

The suspect was last seen wearing a black “NBA Finals” baseball cap, a brown jacket and jeans, Wernick said.

The FBI asked anyone with information about the robberies to call (312) 431-1333.