U.S. Rep blasts gun control foes

If gun violence is a disease, the United States is experiencing an epidemic, U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.) told about 60 students and community members Tuesday to challenge opponents of gun control legislation.

College Democrats and Northwestern Campus Alliance to End Gun Violence invited Schakowsky to talk to students about gun control advocacy that can save lives.

“In the face of all this overwhelming evidence, why haven’t we been able to pass even the most modest gun legislation?” Schakowsky said.

The foes are the “Second Amendment, an individualistic culture, pop psychology and the hypocrisy of the NRA,” she said.

The National Rifle Association sent letters to its members misinforming them that the Democrats want to take away their guns, Schakowsky said.

“It is not anywhere on the agenda to take away guns, not even whispered,” she said.

The issue is not so much the possession of guns, but what can result from improper gun storage in homes.

“Twelve people under the age of 20 are killed every day in accidents, suicides and homicides,” said Greg Newman, founder and president of the NU group. “Guns should be held by an adult’s hand and not a child’s.”

Efforts to improve gun control include closing the loophole on gun shows, where many unlicensed gun dealers operate. Critics charge that felons can easily purchase a gun without the routine five-day waiting period.

“Forty-six percent of criminals buy their guns at gun shows,” said Bob Williamson, a 10-year board member of the Illinois Council Against Hand Gun Violence. “Three of the four guns used in the Columbine massacre were bought at a gun show by one of the boy’s 18-year-old girlfriend.”

Since the 1980s, gun violence has decreased 25 percent, but multiple deaths in schools are on the rise, Williamson said.

“Some perceive gun control to be an extremist issue,” said Steve Krupin, a Medill freshman. “But as long as high schools continue to be draped in police tape, this issue must remain at the forefront of Congress’ agenda.”

NU is not shielded from the threat of guns. Ricky Byrdsong, a former NU men’s basketball coach, was fatally shot in 1999 while taking a walk with his two children in his Skokie neighborhood.

Williamson and Newman said they consider the absence of further gun restrictions ironic in light of strict regulations for other products.

“Every product from teddy bears to cars pass through safety measures except two products: guns and its bullets,” said Newman, a Speech junior .

Schakowsky invited students to become active in the campaign against gun violence. She urged students to write letters to the editors of their local newspapers and join gun control organizations.

“The gun control movement is a pendulum that swings from sleep to activeness,” said Steve Young, former Midwest director of the Million Mom March. “But the pendulum hasn’t gone away.”

Young urged audience members to remember that gun violence is still present in Evanston.

“Howard Street kids can tell you what guns are fired,” he said. “It’s right here in your own backyard.”