Cmdr. Wernick to leave EPD to take position in Highwood

After 29 years of service with the Evanston Police Department, Cmdr. Chuck Wernick will begin a new position as chief of police for the city of Highwood.

Wernick’s last day is May 1, and he will begin his new position in Highwood, a city north of Evanston, the following day. He currently is in charge of EPD’s investigative and support services bureaus and is the department’s only public information officer.

Wernick will take over for Highwood’s retiring Chief Paul Kolessar. He was selected over 65 other candidates by the Highwood City Council.

Wernick came to EPD as a patrol officer in 1972 and currently heads the North Regional Major Crimes Task Force, which investigates homicides in 13 North Shore communities.

The task force was established in November 1997 with the idea of putting together experience and resources from multiple departments in order solve violent crimes.

“Thirteen communities pool their resources into this task force,” Wernick told reporters at an informational meeting in February. “We’ve got 41 people with the forensic side and the investigators, and that can swell to 60 by drawing from … the [local] departments.”

EPD Lt. Joe Bellino said no one has been selected to replace Wernick, but that some department promotions may come in the near future.