NU tries to fill voids, makes pitch to repeat strong season

The Northwestern baseball team finished in sixth place in the conference and played in the Big Ten tournament for the first time since 1995. The Wildcats sported a 30-27 record overall and 13-15 in conference play.

This year’s squad wants more.

“We have a higher set of expectations for ourselves,” senior pitcher Michael Nall said. Nall included a conference title among the team’s goals this season.

To exceed last year’s success, the Cats will have to replace three All-Big Ten performers – pitcher Dan Padgett and outfielder Bob Dainton graduated, and two-time All-Big Ten shortstop Jeremy Kurella, who hit .345 a year ago in the leadoff spot, transferred.

Thus far, NU’s lineup has been wide open, with several players still competing for starting time. The Cats (6-5) have already experienced highs and lows this season. They started out 5-2 before losses to St. Mary’s, McNeese State and Southwest Missouri State exposed their inexperience.

Although NU packs talent, the team will have to mature quickly and find consistency to repeat last season’s success.

“Our offense has been up and down so far, but we have excellent offensive potential,” Nall said.

Some players are already developing, like freshman Dan Pohlman (also a linebacker on the football team); freshman outfielder David Gresky, who was a 22nd-round draft choice of the Florida Marlins; and junior Matt Thompson, who currently leads the team in hitting at .393.

But last year’s NU squad was built on pitching, and this year won’t be much different.

“We’re dealing with more experienced players on the mound than we’ve had in years past,” coach Paul Stevens said in a release before the season.

Junior pitchers Zach Schara and Gabe Ribas are expected to continue their stellar performances from a year ago. Schara led the Big Ten in ERA at 3.06; Ribas finished third with 3.40.

While Schara and Ribas have struggled to adjust early on this season, Nall and junior Ryan Bos have picked up the slack. Nall is 2-0 with a 1.35 ERA, including a superb complete-game outing last Sunday in NU’s 8-0 win over Eastern Michigan. Bos is 1-0 with a 1.32 ERA in 13 innings pitched.

Nall said veteran catcher Joe Hietpas enhances the pitching staff. But Hietpas – third-team All-Big Ten last year – can swing the bat as well. Last season he led NU in batting average (.380), home runs (five) and RBIs (50).

Overall, the pitching will have to carry the load while the offense must provide enough run support for NU to challenge the likes of Minnesota and Illinois. And while the Big Ten season is still a month away, NU’s players are already looking ahead to postseason possibilities.

“We want to get back to the Big Ten (tournament),” Nall said. “Last year we were happy just to be there, and we were satisfied. This year, we want to go in with the intent to win it.”