Kids Fare brings black musical heritage to toddlers

Six-year-old Aaron Estes leapt onto the stage of Pick-Staiger Concert Hall on Saturday with dozens of other children and sang confidently into the microphone placed before him.

Other children around him were clapping, singing and swaying to music at Kids Fare, a concert series put on by the School of Music. The concerts are held monthly from September through May and have themes ranging from musical storytelling to piano performance.

The hourlong event, titled “The Versatility of the African American Musical Heritage,” featured spiritual and gospel tunes to celebrate Black History Month.

“What is the most perfect instrument, little people?” asked Brennetta Simpson, assistant dean of the School of Music.

“Your voice!” a chorus of children yelled.

Soon all of the kids were out of their seats and on stage singing with members of the North Park University Gospel Choir as their parents watched from the audience.

The choir had to perform without its director, Rollo Dilworth, who was delayed in Ohio. So Simpson, who was emceeing the event, took charge.

Other performers included former Music graduate student Cornelius Johnson and the Black Family String Trio. The group, comprising grade-school students from the Chicago area, played “A Spiritual Medley,” which was based on traditional spirituals like “Amazing Grace.”

Parents and children alike said they enjoyed the concert.

“I liked the part when we sang about the God bless (spiritual),” said Matthew Dahlman, 6, of Evanston.

Dahlman’s mother, Jerie, said the program worked well for her son’s age group and that she also plans to attend the March 3 “This Jazz is Jumpin'” show.

Katia Houston of Brookfield said she learned about Kids Fare from Chicago Parent Magazine and has brought her 2-year-old son Omer to every concert this year. This time she also brought her 4-year-old nephew, Patrick Mevs.

“I really like the part where we went on to the stage,” Mevs said with a grin.

This year marks the 10th anniversary of Kids Fare, according to Pick-Staiger spokeswoman Jennifer Bolino. Since 1994, the series, which was created by Music Dean Bernard J. Dobroski, has been Simpson’s responsibility.

“I am a music educator,” Simpson said. “My whole life has been working with kids, and any time I can showcase children, I do. That’s my forte.”