Applications for ASB trips more than enough to fill sites

Applications for Alternative Spring Break are in, and organizers say they have enough students to fill each of their 18 trips — and then some.

“Most likely everyone will be able to go on a trip,” said Alex Chase, ASB co-program director, but the waiting list will be “pretty substantial.”

ASB, a 7-year-old campus organization, will send groups of 14 students to 18 service learning sites across the country during Spring Break. The trips, which cover a wide variety of social issues, will cost students from $200 to $425, with ASB subsidizing much of the expenses.

Chase, a McCormick senior, said that although financial aid was limited because of ASB’s longstanding financial difficulties, requests for aid would not hurt applicants’ chances of being placed.

Weinberg senior Kathy Chan, the other co-program director, said most students on the wait list are usually able to participate because enough people drop out.

ASB organizers declined to release the total number of applications they received, but they said it was on par with recent years.

The majority of applicants were freshman and sophomore girls, Chase said.

Overall, more than half the applicants were underclassmen: 30 percent freshman; 37 percent sophomores; 22 percent juniors; and 10 percent seniors.

However, Chase said he was discouraged by the low number of males, making up just 33 percent of applicants.

“We have tried to focus on getting more male involvement,” he said, noting that the number of male applicants was only marginally higher than in previous years.

As ASB executive board members try to place applicants on specific trips or on the waiting list this weekend, they will strive for gender- and age-balanced groups, Chase said. Otherwise, their decisions will be based on the students’ site preferences and the quality of the applications.

“There’s no specific type of person we’re looking for,” he said, adding that an applicant’s ability to work well in groups is crucial.

Applicants ranked their site preferences on the applications, Chase said, and although some sites were more requested, all sites attract interest.

“It works out pretty well because everyone’s got different interests,” Chase said.

The Boston Living Center, a support organization for people with HIV and AIDS, was the most popular site this year. This will be the sixth year ASB sends a team to the Boston center.

“HIV/AIDS has always been a big issue for us,” Chan said.

Environmental sites in Tallahassee, Fla., and Washington state’s Puget Sound also drew several applications.

Also headed to Boston will be the 14 students who are enrolled in ASB’s academic course this term. The once-a-week evening course in the School of Education and Social Policy focuses on public education in America.

The class is taught by Weinberg juniors Natalie Moore and Genevieve Maricle, both members of ASB’s executive board. After studying public education, the class members will put theory into practice by working in Boston schools.

“So far it’s great,” said Ryan Murdock, a Speech sophomore enrolled in the class. “I’m more motivated to do work for that than I am for my other classes.”

Murdock said it was the chance to directly apply his studies that drew him to ASB.

One of only four males in the class, Murdock said he was aware of the gender disparity in ASB but was unsure why so few males signed up.

“I don’t want to speak for my whole gender,” Murdock said. “I really don’t know why.”