Dining hall dropouts find solace sans SAGA

The food in Northwestern’s dining halls makes Weinberg senior Caille Sugarman-Banaszak sick.

Literally.

Sugarman-Banaszak said eating in the dining halls as a freshman and sophomore gave her an upset stomach. So last year she had her doctor write her a letter excusing her from NU’s meal plan.

Sugarman-Banaszak is one of an estimated 250 to 300 students each year who part ways with Sodexho Marriott Food Services. While she said her stomach woes are real, other NU students with a beef against SAGA feign stomach aches, invent dubious allergies and say almost anything to leave the dining halls behind.

Sol Betancourt, a Weinberg sophomore, asked his doctor to write a letter explaining that he was a vegetarian and could not eat in the dining halls – despite ample dining opportunities for vegetarians.

“All it takes is a doctor’s note,” he said. “They just rubber-stamp it. There’s no verification whatsoever.”

But Dr. Mark Gardner, director of Health Services, said he scrutinizes most of the doctors’ letters. He said most students are honest about their medical conditions, but he doesn’t accept all requests.

“There are many people who legitimately need to get off the plan for real reasons,” Gardner said.

Although Betancourt didn’t lie about being a vegetarian, he said his goal in getting off the meal plan was to save money and improve his diet. He said he doesn’t understand why students living in dorms are required to be on the meal plan.

Mark D’Arienzo, assistant director of University Housing Administration, said that the meal plan is probably mandatory because of an arrangement Northwestern has with the campus food service, Sodexho Marriott.

D’Arienzo said that one of the most common reasons for students wanting to get off the plan is because they don’t like the food. But he challenged students to try the food at other campuses.

“NU’s food is not bad,” he said.

Education sophomore Lucy Bangor said she has visited other schools and agreed the selection here could be worse.

“Smaller schools have a lot less options,” she said.

But that didn’t stop her from getting off NU’s meal plan after her nutritionist wrote a letter excusing her from dining hall meals.

Bangor said that after last year, she couldn’t bring herself to eat in the dining halls any more.

“It’s like eating fast food all the time,” she said. Bangor said cooking her own food is healthier and cheaper.

Meta Marshall, a Weinberg senior, also said her dollar went further and she had more of a selection when she prepared her own meals. A letter from her doctor that said she had a mineral deficiency and dislike for certain foods was all she needed to get off the plan.

Paul Komelasky, district manager for Sodexho Marriott, said the service has worked with students to create new programs and menu selections.

“We’re always looking to see what we can do to help (lower the cost),” Komelasky said.

Despite students’ desire to rid themselves of the cold pizza, bottomless cereal bowls and long lines, Gardner said most requests are made by students with valid medical problems.

“Widespread dishonesty would be news to me,” he said. “(But) if people are going to lie, they’re going to lie. It’s not my bad karma.”