Big Tens offer NU new start

The players have been through the ups and downs. The team has experienced wins and losses. The program has made progress and faced setbacks.

Now, the Northwestern field hockey team is in a race against time as it plays No. 15 Ohio State (11-7, 3-3 Big Ten) today in the first round of the Big Ten tournament in Ann Arbor, Mich. A win would extend the Wildcats’ (6-12, 2-4) season an extra day. But one loss in the tournament would bring an end to the Cats’ season.

“It makes us want to go out and play harder,” senior Colleen Hotz said. “It is up in the air about who gets in the championship match.”

Disregarding a 7-0 blowout loss to Penn State on Oct. 13, the Cats have done reasonably well against the Big Ten elite. NU has defeated No. 19 Michigan State twice, lost to No. 5 Michigan in overtime and lost to third-seed Iowa twice by one goal.

The Cats lost to the Buckeyes 2-1 in their first meeting on Sept. 29. NU jumped out to an early 1-0 lead before facing the Ohio State offensive barrage. The Buckeyes kept the NU defense under siege with 20 corners and fired a total of 20 shots. NU took three penalty corners and three shots.

In all matches against the top four teams in the Big Ten, the Cats have adopted a counterattack strategy to maximize their few scoring opportunities. The Cats also prepared rigorously for executing and defending penalty corners. They were proud of not letting the Buckeyes convert a penalty corner in their first meeting.

“We are really focusing on our individual defense and to take pride in our (goal area),” Roberts said. “That’s ridiculous to have 20 corners and we need to execute on the ones we get.”

The Cats will try to contain the Buckeyes’ star trio of players: senior Katie Hobson, junior Marije van Nouhuys and freshman Mariana Solorzano. All three rank among the league leaders in scoring and will try to beat NU’s greatest strength — goalie Jess Yates.

Yates has had a stellar season and at times has single-handedly kept the Cats in games. This year, she moved into first place on NU’s career saves list and is currently leading the conference in saves with 126 (next closest is 100) and save percentage at .803.

“She is a phenomenal goalie,” senior Wendy Roberts said. “She’s going to be a huge key against Ohio State.”

On Thursday night, Yates was tabbed first-team All-Big Ten. Seniors Lindsay Wright and Roberts were named second-team All-Big Ten.

The Cats have watched game film from their last match with the Buckeyes and are gearing up to shut down van Nouhuys, who orchestrates the Ohio State attack. Van Nouhuys had a goal and an assist in the Buckeyes’ win over NU.

“She has unbelievable stick skills, dribbling skills and shooting,” said Hotz who will defend van Nouhuys. “We are concentrating on keeping her from penetrating the defense and forcing her to the middle where we have more help.”

The Cats have not won a Big Ten tournament game since 1995 when they opened with a 2-1 win over Ohio State. NU’s five seniors are excited for the opportunity to end the skid — and their careers — on a positive note.

“The tournament is bringing together some of the best teams in the country,” Roberts said. “Anything can happen in championship play and it is giving us a chance to show how much we’ve improved.”