Alpha Delta Pi builds sisterhood through service

Destination: Sisterhood.

This was the slogan printed on the back of the royal blue Alpha Delta Pi shirts that sorority members wore as they marched in Friday’s Homecoming parade. With their colony officially established at Northwestern, the 17 women of NU’s 12th sorority are building their membership and making their presence known on campus.

“We definitely got the amount of women that we wanted and a frame to build from,” said Amanda Sloan, ADPi’s colony consultant at NU.

Since the women were initiated two weeks ago, one of the sorority’s primary activities has been community service. The members stuffed Halloween goody bags along with Beta Theta Pi, volunteered at Oakton Elementary School for Community Action Day and will co-sponsor Halloween Hoopla at the Sports Pavilion and Aquatics Center on Oct. 21. ADPi member Mary Bridget Gurry said the community service activities have helped to form a bond between the new sisters.

“I met a lot of new people and I had a lot of fun,” said Gurry,a Weinberg sophomore. “Everyone’s really friendly. We seem to get along great so far.”

In the upcoming weeks, Sloan and other sorority advisers, including ADPi national officers, will appoint six executive positions from among the members. The chapter will hold elections Spring Quarter when it has a full house. A small membership makes it possible for all of the women to be involved in planning the future of the chapter, said member Juliet Negin.

“It was a way to shape my own sorority,” said Negin, a Weinberg sophomore. “You get to have a say in a lot of what you do.”

ADPi had a chapter at NU from 1945 to 1971 but shut it down because of low enrollment. Sloan said interest in the re-established chapter has been high. Since ADPi colonized, she has received at least one e-mail a week from women who are interested in joining, and the sorority has been giving out more bids.

“(ADPi) had a reputation of being very classy and very sisterhood-oriented,” said member Nicole Reitz, a McCormick sophomore.

ADPi’s first chapter meeting was held at 1856 Orrington Ave., which will be the sorority’s house beginning next fall. Sloan said Winter Rush events will be divided between the Guild Lounge in Scott Hall and Willard Residential College so women can stay near the other sorority houses.

An important part of ADPi’s planning will be preparing for Winter Rush, from designing their 2001 rush shirts to learning how the process works. Reitz said she already has made some of her closest friends among her fellow members, who have been e-mailing constantly and getting together informally on weekends.

Panhellenic Association President Sarah Personette said she is pleased with ADPi’s progress and the sorority’s involvement on campus.

“I think it’s going fantastic,” said Personette, a Weinberg senior. “They’ve been extremely successful with their recolonization efforts.”