Business Week ranks Kellogg No. 2, praises ‘camaraderie’

Students at the Kellogg Graduate School of Management are among the happiest business school students in the world, according to a new Business Week magazine survey. And now, students and administrators have an extra reason to smile.

Business Week ranked Kellogg the second best business school after surveying nearly 250 corporate recruiters and more than 10,000 students at 82 schools worldwide.

The University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School held onto its No. 1 slot for the sixth year in a row, but Kellogg administrators see the results as a “virtual tie,” said Richard Honack, assistant dean of external relations. Kellogg was ranked first from 1988 to 1992.

In this year’s survey responses, students noted the school’s “camaraderie and family-like, nurturing atmosphere, which encourages learning and growing as a group.”

Honack called this environment “the Kellogg culture.”

“It’s what we’re known for,” he said. “It’s a culture of teamwork and openness. Students have access to the administration, the dean and the faculty.”

Recruiters also rated Kellogg’s placement office No. 1, saying the school’s high-quality curriculum produces top candidates for business jobs.

But while administrators appreciate the glowing reviews, the rankings will not effect any changes at Kellogg.

“Basically, the rankings are checkpoints that we look at,” Honack said. “We like to do well in all of them. They don’t govern the way we run the school.”